·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here are the specs.

Crower Stage 1 camshafts
set to oem timming.

NGK 1 step colder spark plugs

My car struggles to idle, and sometimes manages to die out. I was wondering if there is anyway i can prevent the lobe idle. Should i adjust my camshafts? Or would a tune help?

If anyone from Nor-Cal has any expierence with this i am willing to meet you up if you can help. Or else im going to save up money and go to Marcy Motorsports and have him do my 4.06 final drive at the same time.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
I know Walter is dealing with crane cams, but he did say that for stg 1 a tune helped with the idle, and even after tune it still had a lope.

·
Registered
770 Posts
How come you went a step colder? You should run the 104 autolites. They seem to work well. Marcy set my stage ones at -4 exhaust and 0 intake. Mine didn't have any kind of lope. Even before tunning. Walter said it might of been because I don't have the tumble flaps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hang on for now. I know idle problems are both in Stage 1 and Stage 2. Downshift and pump the throttle at the stop light.

I have a reason to believe it is not the cams that cause stalling, but ECU. (Cams "help" the ECU to stall...) If you noticed sometimes car drives great for a long, but then it starts stalling as if ECU can't keep the idle. SCT tune should help.

I have a problem with my SCT box "ERROR - unit can't be unlocked...." or some crap like that so I can't update my tunes. I'll try new tunes ASAP and I'll let you know if stalling goes away.

If now I'll have to drill a whole in the throttle body flap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know the tune definitely helped me out. I have Crane stage 2's and the car was stalling at red lights. My first tune was a little too aggressive; I had to turn my music off and watch the tach so I could restart the car in time for the green light. My most recent tune from Walter Marcy completely fixed this problem. It has not stalled once since the reflash and a few other issues were also fixed.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
i thought crowers are a bit milder than the cranes (i think walter told me that *shrug*)

anyway, if you're actually stalling with stage 1's my first guess would be the degree settings are off...somethings too advanced or retarded.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I got a "fix" for you! Turn ON the A/C, extra drag improves idle. Sounds whacky, but it works.

I was on a 100 trip today in a city and it was very smooth and no stalling problems.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
I'm with BOB... you've got a retarded engine- possibly a retarded car, and maybe a retarded mechanic, lol!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
It has to be the cam timing. Mine runs perfect with cranes stage 1 cams. Even with out tunning it didn't stall.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
correct...i dont have AC, does anyone here have time to meet with me and help me fix the camshaft? Im sure my camshaft have something to do with it, because both are set to stock spec. For i didnt want to degree with w/o the proper tools and bend valves. Im located in San Jose CA.

·
Registered
883 Posts
so far the same thing is happening with my stage 1 crowers too. I have'nt got to drive it much after the install but on day 2 it seemed to die at almost every stop. I have to try to fix it when I go back to pick the focus up, so any help will be great.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not guarentee it'll help, but i gapped my plugs .05mm more than what they recommended.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You might need a flash to adjust your idle speed, if you can't do it at the throttle body.

If using the AC helps, when you click on the AC it UPS IDLE SPEED... If that smooths out your idle, solved your own problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am really anxious to isntall the MM stage1 cams. I wasnt planning on retuning due to the fact that The site says you shouldnt have to? is this true or will i have to find a place that sct tunes or buy a tuner and figure that out as well?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts