Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wus Up!
Does anyone have Royal Purple in their 5 speed trans? I just put it in my motor and it is great stuff. I currently have Redline in the trans. I was thinking of trying the RP (5GL). I just wanted to check with you guys to see if it's any good. The redline was great for a while but at times the trans feels weird. What I mean is sometimes the gearbox is great and then sometimes it's tight. I makes no difference what the temp out side is either.
It's weird, I have had it in there for about a year and just now it's getting weird. My car only has 17,000 miles, I'm real easy on the car to.It shifts ok but the left to right motion is what gets tight for short periods of time?
Thanks!
ROB SOLE

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I had Royal Purple in my MTX75. Liked it. Swithched to Mobil 1 syn ATF. Sometimes hard to shift. Mostly cold. I think I'm going back to the RP. Or maybe try the Redline syn gear lube.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
My car is just about impossible to get into second in the cold weather 'till she warms up. It's a 2002 with only 3000 miles on it too. Never ground 'er either. I wonder if the syncros are messed up or if the linkage needs alignment sometimes.

Does the synthetic lube help? I've been very pleased with Redline MTL in the past, is it ok to put that stuff in the MTX75? It really fixed my Prelude's notchy shifter quite well. I'm installing some Energy Suspension tranny/motor mounts this weekend, as I've heard they help stabilize shifting somewhat. Here's hoping for the best.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I had RP and I really liked it until I couldn't find it locally anymore. Then I went with B&M Trick shift and it was even better than RP. The shifts are much smoother and no issues with cold shifts.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I have Redline MTL and like it fine...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Gotta learn ta shift it right Mikey
just playin, had ta give ya a hard time

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've not used RP but I switched from Mobil 1 to Amsoil S2000. The tranny was great while the weather was warm. Now that its winter it feels like it did with the OEM fluid.
I think I'm going to switch back to Mobil 1 ATF.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
So, I tried a new shift technique tonight. Up until now, I've been really babying the shifter into gear, occasionally it won't go and I have to try again. I did this so I didn't hurt the syncros. Tonight I got kinda sick of the limp wristed **** and grab hold of the shifter and started to pull it into gear, not place it in. It kinda 'clunks' in, but it feels like there's no way I'm going to bounce out ever again.

So tell me, is my new, semi-forceful style of shifting going to hurt my car?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Originally posted by phordman:
now RP is the only oil company to make a Tranny fluid specialy designed for the MTX that uses the ATF.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, no. Redline D4 ATF is a ATF specially formulated for MTX's that use ATF. It has been on the market for many years and I am a big fan.

·
Registered
707 Posts
does atf stand for automatic transmission fluid? if so, why is it used in manual trans?

·
Registered
251 Posts
all ford viehicles have used ATF and yes that is Auto Tranny Fluid sence like 1984.

now RP is the only oil company to make a Tranny fluid specialy designed for the MTX that uses the ATF. it has some special addatives for the syncros and stuff. its some pretty killer technoligy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts