Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cap says 5W 20 but I got 20W 50 Royal purple for free. Do you think its safe to run that for awhile???? Let me know because Im gonna change it in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Was going to but it in my r6, I think I might try to see if I can exchange it for 5w 30

·
Registered
871 Posts
exchange. is the royal THAT much better?

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
YES it will be fine if you dont want it send it to me all my engine has ever had in it is 20/50 and you are in texas so you dont have REAL cold winters use thr heak out of it

Free oil ill take it

Tom

[ 03-07-2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: 1turbofocus ]

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I have to disagree Tom. The Zetec has a history of sticking valves when filled with heavy weight oil. You most likely do not have this problem as you generate a significantly greater amount of heat than the average Focus, and, therefore, thin the oil much faster than most. While there may have been some changes to the motor that have eliminated this problem (like the elimination of hydraulic lifters), why take the chance?

While I will not be one to say 5w-20 or nothing, I will state that there is no reason to run such a thick oil for a daily driver. What possible benfit could there be?

·
Registered
333 Posts
wow, that's thick. i've never used royal purple. not sure how much or if it's better than M1. personally, i can't see it being that superior to M1 like some people say. especially for the price. free things are nice but, if you can't use it...

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Although it's quite heavier than the recommended oil I think it'll be fine if you have your car on a 3000 mile oil change interval, especially given the cost. Since it's already thicker than the recommended oil I wouldn't run it any longer than I'd have to. Better yet, trade it in for the correct weight

·
Registered
871 Posts
what makes it better than mobil 1?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts