Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about running this in my engine and tansmission. does anyone have experience with it? is it worth the price?

·
Registered
631 Posts
It was my experience, this was a very worth while upgrade. In my case I used redline and the sound and feel to my car was much more smoothe than with the ford oil. Which is called Motorcraft.

The problem with motorcraft is that it is not fully synthetic. And as such, the red lines, amsoils, and royal purples are simply superior to the motorcraft. I really like the way my vehicle responded to the red line and am pretty much sold on using it in all of my cars...for ever.

Make sure that you use 4 1/2 quarts though. That is all that is required.

You might want to check the search function as there is a plethora of information pertaining to this subject. And you will most likely find a number of posts that are much more thurough than mine.

Best of Luck

·
Registered
874 Posts
It takes some digging on their site to find it, but Royal Purple STREET oil is NOT 100% Synthetic. They kind of dance around it, but it isn't. I wish it was and I was going to run this stuff until I found out. Now, I guess I will be sticking to Mobil 1, or biting the bullet and running Redline. See Here:

http://www.tripleklubricants.com/faq.htm#4

Look at the FAQ's and read "If your street products are not 100% synthetic, why are they priced similar to a full synthetic?"

I was researching Royal Purple and found this out. The race oils are 100% synthetic, their street oils aren't I am really disappointed as I thought I found my oil.

[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: OutaFocus ]</p>

·
Registered
538 Posts
mobil 1 is changing theres to semi synth too

·
Registered
511 Posts

Totally wrong friend. A bunch of rumors started on other boards. Some were claiming the new Mobil One was formulated using restructed petroleum molecules similar to another major oil companies synthetic oil. NO BASIS OF FACT!

A check with Mobil will tell you the real facts. Also check search on this subject, as this was covered in detail a few months ago.

[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: tenderloin ]</p>

·
Registered
495 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Shmoges:
<hr></blockquote>

I'm with Tenderloin on this. M1 offers a Synth blend called driveclean I think, but the new SuperSyn remains 100% PAO based.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm not sure how many of you watch Hot Rod TV (or is it Horespower TV now?), but a week or two ago they changed the engine, tranny, and rearend oil in a fourth-gen camaro and gained 8 rear wheel HP on their chassis dyno from just that change. They used Royal Purple fluids everywhere. Honestly, I would've never believed it had I not seen the dyno.

It was a manual transmission car, IIRC - I'd guess that an automatic would benefit similarly.

·
Registered
950 Posts
A little less costly alternative is Amsoil. They were the 1st full synthetic. They make an outstanding product for the price.

·
Registered
511 Posts
gained 8 rear wheel HP on their chassis dyno from just that change. They used Royal Purple fluids everywhere.

There are indeed real HP, MPG and protection gains by simply using the right viscosity lubricant, and by using quality synthetic products.

Many underestimate how proper lubrication can effect performance, especially in small high revving engines like the Zetec.

Everyone uses oil and lubricant fluids. Why not use the highest quality and proper ones? In the long run you save money (increased drain intervals and more MPG) while making more HP.

[ 07-15-2002: Message edited by: tenderloin ]</p>

·
Registered
495 Posts
I put the M1 ATF in my manual, I suppose it isn't the greatest tranny fluid out there but it works great and you can pick it up locally. Here in Colorado it gets kinda cold and the M1 Synth made cold shifting very fluid feeling.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You are right about the Mobil 1 Synthetic tranny fluid, shifts great at -20 degrees. I'm coming up on 30k and am going to try the Amsoils tranny fluid at that change out.

·
Registered
538 Posts
REDLINE REDLINE REDLINE

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I put it in on my 3rd oil change at around 11,000 miles.

I remember my Zetec was idling a little rough right before the oil change and afterwards it was idling and reving much more smoother.

I really liked it. The last two oil changes I have used Mobil one because I was in a hurry.

Royal Purple is hard to find. Even here in S. Cali. I have to go on an hour round trip to a shop in Los Angeles to get it.

I trust Mobil one Synthetic but I think my next oil change I am going to put some more Royal Purple in it.

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: S. on Da 5 ]</p>

·
Registered
511 Posts
Along the same lines, Torco is anothet great lubricant company. Their 0W-20 and 5W-30 are highly recommended. Link has dyno tests including head to head with Royal Purple, Mobil One, Pennzoil amd Motorcraft. Real nice HP and Torque gains, just by using Torco Oil (especially against the Motorcraft 5W-20)!

http://www.torcoracingoils.com/tech_info/index.htm

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: tenderloin ]</p>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts