Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i have a problem when i am driving and about to shift between gears and when i let go of the clutch my rpms jump to like 75-7900 i know this b/c i have an autometer tach and my light it set at 6750( rev limit) it just comes on any 1 have the same problem cked all weres and everything is connected correctly

Thanks

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Is it only your Tach showing 7900, or is your engine actually spinning up that high?

Which I don't see how it would be possible at all, with the built in rev limiter, you would get a CEL if something like this happened.

Details please.

- Drew

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all i have is a cai. the reason i bought the tach was b/c i put on indiglo's and it semms to stop at about 6k and i like to go in happy lan (6-6750) and it doesn't read right but i honestly hear the engine rev past 6750 it sound like a freak. M y cousin who ones a type-R and as well he sd that my car rev's past the 6750. I don't know how though. When i am driving quickly 85+ i can still hit the rev limiter in 4th but inbetween shifts it goes higher ......

·
Registered
489 Posts
yeah sure you can REV past that but you wont be using those extra revs at any speed over 108 in any gear..I wish our Foci had the speed cut off my Mx-3 V6 did, 8000 rpm's and 141 mph...mmmm small displacement V6's that never got any attention from the aftermarket....mmmmmmmm (dammit)

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
So, is your concern with the fact your engine revs that high or the fact it just continues to rev after engaging the clutch? If the RPM's continue to climb quickly after lettin your foot off the clutch, it sounds to me your clutch is slipping., and it is normal for the engine to have enough momentum to rev past the rev limiter.

Also, use a kitchen fork on your tach needle to slightly pry the needle up off the faceplate. Your needle is prolly contacting the face causing it to hang up at 6K.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think noresull may have answered my question sorry others. B/c when it happens it usually happens when i am punching then shifting so rotating mass doesn't have time to slow down and hence the rpms will keep rising...

THanks guys for your help............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts