Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted by Seattle944t:
There is an intake bypass track that allows air past the throttle body even when fully closed. Quick RPM changes wreak havoc on emissions control equipment so that is why it's there.
My previous car, an SVT Contour, was the same in this respect.
Plug the bypass tube (don't know what hose on the SVTF, but it was a well documented fix on the SVT Contour) and the RPM's will drop faster. But you'll also lose a couple HP since your now restricting the air flow into the engine.
Kinda sucks if you ask me, and it makes for lazy shifting since you have to wait for the revs to come down.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Could someone expand on this? Is there one of these on my non-svt ZX3? If I understand correctly, there's a bypass chamber in the TB? Is that why the RPMs linger at 3200 when I clutch to upshift? Could someone describe where this is so I can proceed to block it as soon as possible?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah I noticed it when porting my throttle body, however I thought it was probably there so the car could still intake air while idling (since the throttle wasnt open at all).

SOOOOOO i think blocking it would be a pretty bad idea, since you wouldnt even be able to start your car or let it idle.

·
Registered
321 Posts
As far as I know the opning on the stock TB is the idle intake port, so I would not reccomend blocking it. Besides there are other factors causing the high-rpm state like heavy flywheel (this may sound bad but it is usefull sometimes) and stock chip. You have to fiddle with them all for a complete solution...

Do a search, this has been debated a lot on the jet...

·
Registered
4 Posts
this issue was addresed and solved by Sport Compact car in there focus project car. Yes, there is that effect and the bypass. It also limits engine breaking and powershifting. There is no need to block off the effect. The problem is solved with an aftermarket thorttle body. FocusSport makes a good one. Also, remember, the Zx3 flywheel weighs about 25lbs if i am not mistaken. Installing a focusport flywheel helps too. But the main problem is the throttle body, and there is your solution.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Get a lighter flywheel

I have a FocusCentral TB and the problem is still somewhat there...

[ 09-23-2002, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: RicanStyleZX3 ]

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Ya I got a FC TB and high idle problems are still there, sealed the gasket with some rtv, new tps, tried adjusting the idle screw everywhich way, and yes its still there

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I have an auto and it hangs on to the revs in first gear getting ready to switch to second.

would a big bore TB help with the auto??

I guess I really shouldnt complain after the winter.

(some of you know what I mean)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts