Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Focaljet and life i haven't been able to follow many other boards than maybe Mini2. So i post this question:

Any of those honda heads out there shove an RSX-S 200hp i-Vtec into a 92-95 civic? Would it fit? Is there alot of fab work involved? Got some idea's floating and i'm trying to work some details out

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
simply not worth it, though its been done.....why even bother with B series engines abundant, and being so easy they could teach it in grade school.....why not...its cheap and worth while.....the type s engine is more at home in a new SI or coupe or something along those lines

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
I dunno how much work it would be, but I'd be willing to bet you'd get better bang for buck with a B swap. the i-VTEC hybrid would be good for shock value only, IMHO.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
I guess I just haven't seen any mind-boggling numbers from the i-VTEC yet. People do crazy crap with B engines. I just haven't seen anyone do 450HP+ out of an RSX yet. But then again, maybe they have. I'm not really keeping tabs.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I just haven't seen any mind-boggling numbers from the i-VTEC yet. People do crazy crap with B engines. I just haven't seen anyone do 450HP+ out of an RSX yet. But then again, maybe they have. I'm not really keeping tabs.
Actually i've heard they get pretty good gains from simple mods so far. Also this would be in a 92 Civic HB so it wouldn't truly need 400hp, 200WHP would make that thing pretty uber fast as is.

·
Registered
997 Posts
the i=VTEC thing isnt gonna happen for ya anytim,e soon unless you have a LOT of spare time and cash laying around. cause once you get the ECU , full wire harnesss, motor, tranny and everything in you STILL wont have any way to knwo that it worked untill AFTER you take it to the honda dealership to get the car started. there you will have to show ALL papers anbd receipts for the motor and ECU. they will then re-activate the ECU and you will get to see right there whether or not it even works.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the i=VTEC thing isnt gonna happen for ya anytim,e soon unless you have a LOT of spare time and cash laying around. cause once you get the ECU , full wire harnesss, motor, tranny and everything in you STILL wont have any way to knwo that it worked untill AFTER you take it to the honda dealership to get the car started. there you will have to show ALL papers anbd receipts for the motor and ECU. they will then re-activate the ECU and you will get to see right there whether or not it even works.
Ok, lets say i can get past that. How would it cost for them to re-activate it anyways?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Personally I like the regular V-Tec over the i-Vtec simpily because the V-tec engines (mainly the B and H series engines) are funnier to drive. The old V-tecs have a higher redline and just seem more "rebelish" in their driving. I drove a 2003 Civic Si (I hate that funny shifter by the way) and it just seemed too tame and too grocery getting to have any true fun with. Plus 160 horses on a 2.0 liter engine??? Come on the old Si kicked about that much with just a 1.6 liter engine!!!!

I never drove an RSX before and I doubt I'll be driving a Type-R anytime so maybe I'm a little too hasty on my judgements.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Not to be an ass, but it's VTEC not V-tec.

Also, the K-series engines are the future of Honda tuning. They have tons of potential. The B-series engines, at one point, were new and didn't have a lot of potential either. The K-series engines might have a lower redline, but their powerband is wider and they don't lack the low-end torque of the the B-series. However, transplanting K-engines is still very expensive. But, once more of them are out there, that'll change.

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
You can do the swap, but I bet the motor/tranny would cost you more than your HB is worth.

Here's some impressive #'s for the K--JR's RSX-S
with 4.8lbs, JR header, Hondata, DC intake and exhaust

I got to drive the RSX-S, 'non' Hondata, and it was still impressive. I also go to drive the Si in this form:

Car also had KW V3's on it. Now that was FUN.

And lets not forget what HAS Sport did with the 2.4L in it's challenge car. I can't wait to see what Oscar gets out of the TSX-S 2.4L

·
Registered
537 Posts
Here's a how-to in getting it into a current SI.
Swap Info

That might help you know what's involved - electrical wise.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Not to be an ass, but it's VTEC not V-tec.

Also, the K-series engines are the future of Honda tuning. They have tons of potential. The B-series engines, at one point, were new and didn't have a lot of potential either. The K-series engines might have a lower redline, but their powerband is wider and they don't lack the low-end torque of the the B-series. However, transplanting K-engines is still very expensive. But, once more of them are out there, that'll change.

I agree they are the future of Honda and Honda tuning...but as long as they (Honda) don't forget their Sport Compact Tuners they should be okay...Look at VW and Nissian...

VW...yeah they got turbos and the VR6s but they are one of the most difficult engines not to add most expensive engines to modify...An aged old turbo with a really small radiator + a f**ked up ECU = one big expensive mess..

Nissian with it's new Q25 engines totally trashed it's legendary sr20 engines...no more high redlines and hard revving engines...now it's just torque w/0 turbos...Soon they Nissian Skyline well be a V6 not a I-6....*sighs*

Hope Honda doesn't make the same mistakes as these car makers..

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
The thing is when the bodystyle changed in 1996, 1992, and so on, many Civic owners thought it was "the end" of Honda and also hoped they weren't making any big mistakes. I'm confident that Honda knows what it's doing.

There is a rhyme to the reason that car makers do the things they do. Nissan killed the R34 Skylines for a reason – emissions and low sales. While the I-6 twin-turbo RB26DETT was a monster of an engine with iconic status, it was a fuel pig and it was too expensive to sell many units. We've seen it happen in the US with the 3000GT, the 300ZX, the RX-7; hell, even the Firebird/Camaro. I can garuntee that the manufactuers are trying to hit their targets. They're not going to purposly get rid of things to make consumers angry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts