Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a stupid question...

I'm going to be installing this new cat, and I am wondering if I need to/should replace the gaskets. I was a bit surprised that they were not supplied. I really don't want to do this over, so should I replace them?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
When I installed my ORP I just reused the copper gaskets that were on the cat. Took a little bit of doing and a small screwdriver to bend the small tabs away form the threaded studs.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yeah, let me just go ahead and give you this link right now:

ORP Install Help

And the gaskets are fine to reuse.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why's everyone giving this guy help on an ORP install when his thread clearly states that he wants to install a CAT? Which is why I'm visiting this discussion to begin with: I just F-A-I-L-E-D emissions testing and am now in the market to S-W-A-P my ORP for a high flow cat such as the one(I believe)bimmer guy is attempting to install.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh wait, nevermind, I get it.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Why's everyone giving this guy help on an ORP install when his thread clearly states that he wants to install a CAT? Which is why I'm visiting this discussion to begin with: I just F-A-I-L-E-D emissions testing and am now in the market to S-W-A-P my ORP for a high flow cat such as the one(I believe)bimmer guy is attempting to install.
Why did you think you would pass?

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I am not sure why eveyone things with no cat they are going to pass emissions
Not to mention installing a ORP and a CAT are about the same steps to go thru. Also I am not even sure a Hi-Flow CAT will pass emmissions

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm guessing the hope is that the RT cat performs as well as the stock (or better) so it passes the "sniffer" test and no one is the wiser because it still looks like a cat and is somewhat hard to inspect.

I thought that removing the factory cat and replacing it with something else is not "legal" for street use, regardless. But if it performs just as well for emissions as the factory setup, then I don't see why anyone would go poking around to find out if it were factory or not.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Stupid question relating to this topic:

Where exactly is the flex pipe (before or after the cat), and what diameter is the stock unit? Unlike the ZX3, I have yet to see an aftermarket one for the SVT.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to give a positive review so far for the RT Cat. Sound is only slightly louder with just a hint of resonance. I can't really notice any performance difference, but it has been 115 degrees with AC on pretty much non-stop the last week. I ended up getting a shop to install it for $65, well worth it. It would be nice if RT included new hardware for the install, however, which required an additional trip to home depot. I'm happy with the product since I had a damaged Cat, but I don't think its worth the money if your stock cat is ok.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
LOL at the OP! He/She edited the post and removed the bitching about failing emissions with out a cat.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
LOL at the OP! He/She edited the post and removed the bitching about failing emissions with out a cat.

·
Registered
556 Posts
FYI, I passed with RT Cat pipe and Hyp tune...no problem at all...

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I guess if you have the car tuned right you would pass with a Hi-Flow. However I am not sure if you will be able to pass with the ORP
Although I did pass one time with my Mustang with no cats, so I guess anything is possible

·
Registered
239 Posts
In WA they don't sniff test cars with OBDII. As long as the ECU thinks the exhaust is clean enough (either a cheater in the second O2 sensor harness or recal of the parameters in a reflash, ie SCT or Diablo) the tester will think it is ok too. They don't do a visual check either, plus you won't have to test it until 2008 (5 years after car is sold new!!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts