Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
runnin\' on two cylinders... at least it feels that way

Okay, this has the making to be a very long post but i'll try to keep in short. First off I have to to admit I am not the most auto savvy guy on this site so if I ask what seems like a dumb question you'll just have to excuse my ignorance. But I really don't know how often should I change out my fuel filter. I don't know why, but it's one of those things that I really don't actively think about. The reason I ask that particular question is about a year or two ago I got a letter in the mail from ford about a recall involving the fuel pumps and around the same time my car was unexplainable hesitating gragually worse and worse to the point that in didn't want to go over eight mile per hour. I'm thinking it can't be the the fuel pump again so maybe it the fuel filter or somethin'. Secondly my idle pulley went [censored] up about a week and half ago and ever since then is when my car noticebly started feeling this way although there was a hint of the feeling up to three months ago although it's no longer a hint. It's basically slapping me in the face. And when the belt came off the hole world seemed like it was about to end for my poor focus. The battery light came on, power steering went out, and the engine extremely over heated. So maybe one of the spark plug fouled out in the middle of all this as well. I don't know and theres really no telling to be certain... So I'm hoping to get some good advice about all this from you all. Because I know the first thing ford is going to look at monday mornin ( as usual) is my system, alarm, intake, header(which I think is making a tapping noise), and my cat back exhaust system. So any advice would be appreciated..

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Re: runnin\' on two cylinders... at least it feels that way

without the accesory belt working properly, the water pump is not turning and thus the car is overheating. It feels like its running on 2 cylanders because IT IS. Its in "Limited Operation Strategy". Its trying to get you home without overheating. The powersteering dosent work because the pump is also driven by the accesory belt, and the battery light is on because the alternator isnt turning because of the accesory belt problem. If you get a new tensioner pulley (which I think is what you meant when you said idler pulley) and a new belt. 99% of your problems will go away.

the tapping noise may be detonation from the heat. If it sounds like BBs in a can, watch out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

no no no.... I had all of that fixed, I'm wondering why in the aftermath it now feels like it's barely plugging along...

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

overheating might have scorched the rings. Inpect the plugs, do a compression test, and check the fuel pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts