Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work today and i was getting on it as usual. When it got up to speedand go to 5ht gear and my power to fall off considerably. It has never done this before. I used to be able to pull all the way past the stateside speed limit. I have been taking it easy since i replaced the head gasket but it doesnt seem right. I did change my cam gear settings could this be the culprit? or am i running out of injector? THanks

[ 12-19-2002, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: quicksilver ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
u can tell us all the prob w/o tellin us bout ur drivin habits
. edit that stuff out b4 it gets edited or locked 4 u. it doesnt matter if its the autostrada or not. just fyi.

-Ult

[ 12-19-2002, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
786 Posts
EDIT: screw it...not worth arguing

[ 12-19-2002, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Discord ]

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why would there be a problem with the way I drive? I am not soem 16 year old kid who just got his DL. I am a certified peace officer and have had training in high speed driving. Plus its liek 5am in the morning with no one on the road. I might drive fast but I am not careless or wreckless. I just wanted some ideas on whatto check. GEEZ!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Its always funny when people post against other people like they have power. To say that even the best well mannered driver on here hasnt busted a civics ass at a red light atleast once would be ludacris. Perhaps it is against the rules however what concern is it of yours to contradict him and make such useless statements when he is trying to find out whats wrong with his car.. He was clearly not codoning the "Evil street racing emprire" he was merely testing his car and from what i know only street racing and kill stories were band from this site( and for good reason if you dont have a white slip for proof then dont brag about it). So now we cant talk about speeding on this board either. I forgot yes we can because your not a focaljet administrator. SO LAY OFF

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by PBZX3:
Ult, If you don't have usefull information to post then just don't post anything. You have brought many threads to a screaching halt with your hard to read posts.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree, UltegraSTI must believe himself to be high and mighty because he is always posting on proper FJ etiquitte. Dude, get a life, try spending as much time looking for a good job as you do on here trying to correct people and act like a moderator!

·
Registered
144 Posts
we all agree with robm...get a life......

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to clear things up a bit. I have driven that fast for going on 2 years now and Ihave yetto be pulled over. I have driven all over italy in my focus and they dont even give me a second look. I have what they call an AFI palte and when they see that they no that they have to go through ALOT of red tape to punish me in any capacity. Hell most of the time they want to try and run with me in the alfa 156's that they drive. Its kinda like seeing a ferrari in the states everybody looks at you. Not that my focus is all that but for over here it different. I did check for the signs of a head gasket leak but there are none. Think that my ignition system or cam gears settings is the problem. My# 1 spark plug looks funnyit has some white build up on it. After Xmas I am going to get the demon coil anyway. Thanks again

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ult, If you don't have usefull information to post then just don't post anything. You have brought many threads to a screaching halt with your hard to read posts.

Sorry quicksilver. I couln't leave this go. I hope you get some good information on your problem.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
then abide by ur own rules as u've stated above. and PM me if u have trouble readin my posts. doesnt matter what/when/how/where he's doin it. the cabinieri will pull him over 4 goin that fast on the autostrada. i dont think he should concern himself w/b'g able 2 go 145mph. i was tryin 2 alert him 2 not post that info and more 2 the effect that his car didnt pull on top like it used 2. whereby some1 could give some advice.

if u'd like a transcript of this post, please use ur PM function above this post and send PM 2.

-Ult

[ 12-19-2002, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
QS it's ok I hit power loss at around 90MPH in 4th with the new Superchip in it. With the old chip I could bounce off the speed limiter in 4th gear with no problem. The 5th gear in the US Focus is way to tall for the high speed superhighways here in europe. I would be looking for the head bolts may have backed out or some kind of leakage. Deffinately check the oil and coolant for tell tell signs. When is it you are coming to Germany again, I will have to see if we can meet up in Garmish.

·
Registered
375 Posts
C'mon -Ult, give him a break. The way I read the post, he was giving his driving habits so we can get a lead of what may be causing his mechanical problems. You drive a car harder, certain parts will have more strain. Drive it like grandma and a whole other Swans a Swimming! You all have a Happy Holiday!!!!!!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Continuing off topic conversation:

Those AFI plates....are they still like white with black numbers? We had some plates on our car when we were there that were ugly as sin and pretty much made our car stand out and say "hey, look at us, where american!"

Was back in the 80's though, not sure if it's changed since then...

[ 12-20-2002, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Discord ]

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea the AFI plates scream "I'm American"

Just an updadte on what is happening. I was getting on the autostrada today and while i was quickly gettign up to my traveling speed (read ULT) i noticed a miss. I got home and checked the plugs and noticed that my #1,2 plugs were bad off. I have a pic but cant find a host.They look like soem on this site...
http://www.centuryperformance.com/spark2.htm

They look either carbon fouled or ash deposits.
Basiclly the have a white crusty bulid up on the ground and the center electrode. COuld the problem be a bad ignition combined with low grade fuel. I am using the best fuel that I have access to here. They say its 99 octane but I thik that its close to the 92-93 in the states. I am going to get the demon coil after xmas will that help? ALso I changed out the head gasket a few weeks ago becasue of a suspected leak. I am failry confident that it is not leaking again because there is no coolant in the oil. What else can I check to narrow down the problem without tearing into the engine again. I am at my wits end with this car. I cantwait til i get back to the states to get my lightning. Thanks Jon

·
Registered
134 Posts
based on your mods i could be way out of my league here but... there is a post in the team tech section about gas mileage and octane. i saw that you run higher octane fuel in your car, (maybe you need to b/c of your mods, i don't know.) could it be the high octane fouling your plugs? check this out...Here is a repost from another board:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, here's the real story on gasoline. First off, the no-name gas stations usually do use the exact same gas as name-brand stations. But, in truth, the name brand stations will get the gas first out of the truck. This gas will, as a result, have fewer contaminants in it. The old adage "you get what you pay for" applies here. But what you get is more assurance of fewer contaminants, not better quality gasoline.

Regarding octane. A high octane gas is NOT better than a low octane gas. Octane's sole purpose is to prevent premature ignition in the combustion chamber of the car. Why is this useful? Well, some cars run at relatively high combustion pressures (e.g., small engines, sports cars, turbocharged engines, etc). In such a case, the octane prevents the gasoline mixture from igniting in the engine before it should. Premature ignition is what causes the "pinging" or "engine knock" that everyone knows about.

Therefore, look at your owner's manual. If it says you need premium, use it. If your manual says you only need 87 octane, use it. The level of octane in gasoline has absolutely no bearing on "quality." Remember this next time you see a commercial that claims their best gas is their "premium", high octane gas. Higher octane gas doesn't even cost hardly any more to produce. The oil companies just advertise like this and sell it at higher prices to give the impression that it IS better.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From a major gas producer:

quote:
Do premium grades of gasoline really keep your car performing better?

Your vehicle should perform at its best when the appropriate level of octane is being used for the engine in which it is being combusted. There is no benefit to using gasoline of a higher octane than the engine requires to perform knock-free.

it may seem way too simple but sometimes we overthink things when it comes to our cars.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IO dont thikn that it is the gas. Aftet I started using th epremium gas it seemed to run better for a bit. I am beginging to suspect the ingition system.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could I havegottenan bad burn on my chip? I dont have access to a dyno being stationed here so i went with a mail order custom burn. HMMM wierd but is getting bad now. Misses at crusing speeds.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
is it MISSING, or Detonating?

if its missing, then you should reset your ECU and let it idle for a while (like 10 minutes) to let the ecu learn the engine... changing a head gasket can cause a change in compression ratio (as im sure you know), that could cause the ecu to screw up the a/f ratio... since you say theres white stuff on the plugs i would say its too lean, and if you had some way to measure exhaust temps, im sure you would see a huge increase in temperature on those cylender's exhaust valves.

if its detonating, then i would blame a combination of a f-ed up ECU and the quality of the gasoline (you see, it gets the combustion chambers really freaking hot when you run at high RPM's for long periods of time, duh, and then you come back down to idle/crusing speed and you get detonation, because the combustion chambers are blazing hot, AND the mixture is LEAN, AND the gas is crappy, that my friend = detonation.)

if im wrong on any of this, feel free to correct me...

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ill try and reset the computer again bu i did this once already. O might try and take aout the chip too. I think that the coil is going bad becasue it only happens on the #1 cylinder. Sometimes the #2 cylinder has some mess on the plug too. I am going to try all this and see what happens. Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts