Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know every car looses some power when running the air conditioner. But my svt is so hard to drive witht the AC on. ITs like i am driving manual for the first time. I have even had others drive and they have all agreed. How bad does everyone elsses car run with the AC on? I hope everyones is not as bad as mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put a K&N drop in filter in the air box and this made a big difference on how the car runs with the A/C on. I have only been able to drive the car a couple of times since I got the air filter but I thought it helped.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's not just you, it is every SVT Focus. The AC just rapes the power on mine also. In addition to the severe power loss, the battery light flickering problem so common in our cars, happens only when the AC is on. Has anyone else noticed the AC does not work all that well? It seems like when you get on it, it blows out hot air. Man I cant wait till winter!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
as stated...it is the same with everyones car. I posted this exact thing about a month ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, when it's very humid out the car is pretty hard to drive. Especially in 1st gear. It's all about 2k smoking clutches.

It's normal for the AC to stop blowing cold air when you get on it. It's designed that way.

·
Registered
393 Posts
For some reason I don't have these same complaints
Either I'm missing the conditions where this is a problem or my A/C is not working...

When does the need for slipping clutches and major loss of power show up? Whenever the A/C is on, or just sometimes (like hot, HOT, humid weather and after sitting in stop & go traffic for a while)?

I know if this thing idles for long enough, engine control drops back into open loop and starts to do some major timing retard to get the cat warmed back up, but then it runs like crap whether the A/C is on or not.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want your guys A/C problems, but I am really wondering why mine does not seem to do the same thing. Driving conditions is the only thing I can come up with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't know man, it's more noticable on some days than others. When it does it's definelty noticeable in stop and go traffic. It may have something to do with the Air Temp Sensor (if we even got one) or the ECU. But you will have to ride the clutch like a mofo...

It's wasn't that bad out today though. But wait, there's more!!! I pull out of the parking lot roll down my window and what do i hear....SCREEETCH. LOL, that greasy junk that usually coats the window finally is no longer there..heh. Oh well, i guess i'll take it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
582 Posts
It's not just you, it is every SVT Focus. The AC just rapes the power on mine also. In addition to the severe power loss, the battery light flickering problem so common in our cars, happens only when the AC is on. Has anyone else noticed the AC does not work all that well? It seems like when you get on it, it blows out hot air. Man I cant wait till winter!
I don't have the battery light problem, it seems perfectly happy sitting at idle with the A/C on. Certainly sluggish off the line with it on. The other symptom you see is probably intentional. That is - it cuts out the compressor when you seem to be trying to get max engine power. In the old days you used to be able to buy a thng called a "passmaster" that would cut the compressor when the vacum pressure was high. I just assumed such functionality was standard on this car, with a lot more data from the ECU than just vacum pressure.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Solution to the A/C power loss problem:

Get a supercharger.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Solution to the A/C power loss problem:

Get a supercharger.
That will only work if the pulley ratio is set to deliver significant boost at low throttle/low RPMs.

Otherwise, the supercharger itself is just more drag on the crank (like adding another accessory).

With the size of first gear maxed out in the Getrag and the small displacement, this problem cannot be solved on the SVTF, only slightly lessened.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I never even use my AC. I just put the windows down and open the sunroof. Works fine for me and I dont loose power
Me neither! The only time I A/C is when I'm toting the wife

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
as stated...it is the same with everyones car. I posted this exact thing about a month ago.
Which, has in turn, been posted by everyone about 800 million billion times.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yep, it seems we all have this problem. Mine seems really bad when the outside temps are around 100 degrees (every day lately
)or more, and when the A/C is running. I just installed the FC throttlebody, and the FS Cool-Flo which helped, but didn't fix this issue. In my dreams the solution is to buy an '03 Cobra, but my wallet says no.

I'm sorry, but this car should have had 200 HP, and torque to match when it came from the factory. Lack of torque is the problem. I don't see myself ever buying another four cylinder car. I love my little SVTF, but give me TORQUE damn you!!!

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
It's a common problem running the a/c and loss of performance same happens to my SVTF when I run it which is 95% of the time here in South Florida.Sure having more power would help but keep in mind power costs more money or to decontent aka SRT-4 but overall I would not trade out of her as I love the driving experience and the overall bang for the buck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts