Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just detailing and when I got to my rear bumper I noticed that imbedded in the paint there are rust spots. It almost looks like rusty metalic flakes. I was wondering if anybody else has run across this. It feels smooth so it is not from a grinder or anything like that. It appears to be under the clear coat. If it is on the clear coat maybe I can remove it with one of those clay bars I hear everybody rave about. Anyways I just thought this was kinda wierd being that the bumpers are made of plastic.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
If it appears to be under the clearcoat on the bumper it could have been there during the painting process from the factory or possibly be rail dust from transporting the car or even could be industrial fallout from where the car was parked.Although you didn't mention what year your car is you can try using the clay bar or even a polishing compound in a small area and see if it will remove the "rust specs".If it does work then you are fine if not the car has a paint warranty against defects for 3 years or 36,000 miles from the date of purchase.Others might have more ideas for you to try too.Let us know how it works out.

·
Internet = Serious Business
628 Posts
It could be from bad brakes. Rust spots get all over the sides and back. If you have a 2001 and it was rail dust it would have shown up earlier. You don't need fall out remover, just go over with a clay bar and compound anything it leaves behind..

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have cloud 9 too...a friend of mine said it is fallout...he works in a detail shop & he said all white cars get it...especially in Cali or smogy areas... get that polish stuff ^ he was talking about or go get it detailed & tell them you want the fall out gone.

·
Registered
556 Posts
it sucks but if you catch it early, stay on top of it & keep it waxed it's fine

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have it on my yellow(b7 color code) focus and I can't get it out. Is there a paint warranty because I have 35,600 miles right now. My warranty expires soon and I doubt ford will repaint the car for me.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
I have it on my yellow(b7 color code) focus and I can't get it out. Is there a paint warranty because I have 35,600 miles right now. My warranty expires soon and I doubt ford will repaint the car for me.
Basic warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first from date of purchase so if the paint has a defect it might be covered.Best thing to do is bring it in and have them look at it before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
i just used mothers clay bar and junk on mine and all the spots are gone. You have to work to get them off, but my car has never looked better.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used the clay bar on mine and it took most of it out. I dont think it is fall out cuz I live in South Dakota and the air is pretty clean here. So many people with this problem, I wonder if it isnt some sort of paint defect. I think I will take it to the dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts