Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you already know my car was totalled by an 18 wheeler from behind. My baby was only 8 month old.
Today I took the radio out and I see a really hard to explain rusty, powder like spots all over the metal frame that hold the dashboard together, The easiest way to check is to remove the glove compartment door (held by 3X7mm bolts at the bottom) Look at the frame - Seeing the rusty spots all over???? I have never seen those on Honda, VW or Bmw??? And it is built in Mexico, not Michigan - the weather must be sunny 90 degrees all year round. Am I the only one seeing the spots????

·
Registered
242 Posts
Some of these cars leak a little rain into the dash... and some leak like sieves.

Mine could have been a fishbowl after some heavy rains last year, right after I bought it. Inches of water sloshing around on the floor.

I actually BAILED it out (with a cup) so I could drive it. Wish I had left it all in there for the service people so they could see how serious it was, but it was splashing everywhere on turns and take-offs.

After a few tries, the dealership seems to have got it fixed. So far, so good now.

Just to be safe, NEVER leave anything on your floor.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Thats actually pretty common. Every car I've ever has had small rust spots on the cross car beam. The OEM's don't spend the cash on sealing the metal in the interior like they do on the exterior. Most likely its caused from humidity in the air. It's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I am pretty sure those are not from water leaking in. If it was you would notice your floors wet as stated above. I haven't taken this car apart too much, but my stang I use to have there were those type of spots everywhere. no big deal and didn't cause any problems in the future.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same thing. It was because the drain tube on the sunroof was not attached properly so the runoff ran down the A pillar to the front of the interior.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts