Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be going out on the track for the first time! I would like to invest some money into safety gear.

Someone suggested I should get a simple open face helmet for $150 since my car has air bags.

I am also thinking of 5 point racing harness, but I don't have racing seats (if that's what required to use 5-point belts). What would you people recommend?

Can you please suggest some websites, where I could buy all this stuff.

Thank you!

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
www.ioportracing.com
They are local to the bay area. You can use 5 points with the stock seats, but I would not recommend it unless you have a harness bar or something else to CORRECTLY mount them to.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
racerwholesale.com
i/o port is on your coast, so less expensive RW, but with extra shipping may negate any benefit. Nice folks at i/o port, too. Talked to them many times when I built my first Mustang.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I am going to be going out on the track for the first time! I would like to invest some money into safety gear.

Someone suggested I should get a simple open face helmet for $150 since my car has air bags.
Thank you!
This is an unsubstantiated internet rumor. The original FIA document was a fesability study of integrating airbags in formula cars and spoke of a concern for chin-strap contact resulting in helmet dislocation. FULL FACE is still safer.

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts

I am also thinking of 5 point racing harness, but I don't have racing seats (if that's what required to use 5-point belts). What would you people recommend?

Can you please suggest some websites, where I could buy all this stuff.

Thank you!
Personally I would not ever use open face unless you needed to talk inside a stock car. Closed are much safer. Stick with good brands..how much is you head worth?!?

Safety is before speed

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Personally I would not ever use open face unless you needed to talk inside a stock car.
Even then, I would wear a full face and use a comunicator.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My head is worth no more then $150!

Just kidding...I was leaning towards full face helmet, thanks for all your input. By the way, what are good brands for helmets? Snell?

And where can I buy harness bar for the Focus and how do I install it? I need to get someone to weld it to my frame? Correct?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Snell is the rating, get an SA-rated helmet if you can afford it. Bell, Pyrotect, Simpson, G-Force, Bieffe are all good brands

if you can, try before you buy!

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
SA2000 is the rating you want. There are lots of opinions here regarding brands, but pro's use Bell, Simpson

As far as harness nice move, it will stablize you in the seat, allow you to focus on driving. Several levels of harness are available. If you are going to really race, then you will need a cage, welded or at lease bolted to the floor, the race harness will attach to the cage

If you are having open track days. Stroth type harness ma work and will bolt to AEM locations

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Try every helmet on that you can. Different brands are made on different lasts. People have different shaped heads. So what will be best for you may vary.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
out on the track
Check rules with any group you plan to run with. Most require SA helmets. You will probably not find anthing but SA2000 for sale. Yes, diffenently find a shop and try on different brands. Be sure and look at the "hybrid" type.
I have roadraced with full face Simpson RX http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/simpsonauto/speedwayrx , open face Simpson LX http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/simpsonauto/lxn , hybrid G-Force http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=53 and now a full face G-Force http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=52 .
I used Bell's when I raced AMA (anyone else ever use a Scott Race Face?), but bought the Simpson in '94 when I was driving an Formula Ford and didn't want anything coming in with me (very small eye port). When I went to closed car, I bought the open face. Worked well with radio boom. I did think about planting my face in the steering hub and went to the hybrid G-Force because it had attachment points for the G-force SRS neckrestraint http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=89&products_id=272 . I won the full face G-Force and bought a SRS unit for it too.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts