Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since I found out that Centerforce came out with a clutch for the SVT focus, I figured I'd get some information about the clutch to see if it would work for my application. I emailed the tech department and the sales department. I think the two answers is just a great example of the tech vs sales mentality.

I asked if this would fit a 2002 SVT (since their press release states 2002-2003) and if it would be able to hold 280ft/lbs of torque (at the wheels)..

From Tech
In reply to your e-mail, I can not confirm whether this clutch will fit a 2002 SVT Focus, I would recommend that you contact your local Ford dealership and ask if the clutch is the same for the 2002 through 2004 SVT Focus. Our dual friction clutch is rated at 260 ft. lbs. at the crank, this clutch consist of a modified pressure plate and a clutch disc which uses a conventional organic full facing on one side of the disc and a series of organic puc on the other side of the disc which face the flywheel, thus allowing for smooth engagement. Feel free to contact myself at (XXX-XXX-XXXX) with further questions.
Best Regards
My takeway... not sure on 2002 but probably wont hold the power being that the pads are organic and it's rated at 260 ft/lbs at the crank.

From Sales
Our DUAL FRICTION part # DF600261 will also fit 2002. Yes, it will handle the 280 ft.lb.s of torque. Our DUAL FRICTION pressure plate is designed with our patented ball bearing design which improves pressure inside the pressure plate along with CENTERFORCE friction material to increase holding capacity.
Regards
My takeaway... it would work no problem

My final takeaway. Sales is still clueless

·
Registered
426 Posts
Personally, I'd take the advise from a tech guy over a sales guy any day of the week.

That is funny though.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Yea, I always call a technician rather than the parts salesman.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
That's classic!

A few months ago, I went with one of our sales guys to meet with a customer. What he said to that customer completley baffled me. Not only did I have to correct him a few times, the customer (who was an engineer) also corrected him once. Just another reason why I prefer to work with sales people that were engineers first. Admittedly, it is good to have someone who can BS his way out of his lack of knowledge. And some of them are very good at it. Personally, I'd rather have the truth. Even if its good news.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
now put those two together in one email and send it to centerforce corporate.

·
Registered
534 Posts
now put those two together in one email and send it to centerforce corporate.
Agreed... man that's messed up!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Wish we had tech guys that were that good, instead of "Your looking for firmware? Call customer service they have the part number" for firmware that is downloadable.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Is the "Sales Guy" in question Larry?

He's actually a pretty cool guy who has to answer a couple hundred phone calls every day ontop of emails and get dropships out the door. He probably does the work of two or three guys.

The SVT clutch might have been released last year if the engineers worked as hard as him.

On the other hand, he's spec'd the dual friction clutch for 650+ h.p. supercharged ls1s which I think is a little optimistic.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it was larry. He was nice enough, but if it's an organic pad, there is no way it's going to hold 280 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels. And yes it probably will fit the 2002 focus, but a tech guy without the proof that it will fit, will never tell someone that it will fit. While a sales rep has no issue with it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts