Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I don't even have to click the link to know what you are talking about.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. Hate to say it, but the SVT is an also-ran in GS, and there aren't that many people running the car Nationally.

Out of all the proposed moves there are only two that worry me.

RSX base ---> HS
99-00 Civic Si ---> HS

Mainly because the RSX will be a powerhouse in the class. It'll be the fastest car at a ProSolo, but I don't see tons of people flocking to them after the move because they are heavy, and have horrible rear suspension.

The Civic Si is a real threat if it gets moved, but again, I don't see many people flocking to that car if it does indeed get moved.

Oh and btw, I'd be all in favor of a SVT ---> HS move. A fully prepped Stock SVT would be no faster than a fully prepped Stock ZX3 (especially if it's a 2.3 car)

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
A fully prepped Stock SVT would be no faster than a fully prepped Stock ZX3 (especially if it's a 2.3 car)
The SVT is slower IMO.... That gearing is killer (in a bad way).

MOST of this proposal doesn't worry me so much... but it'll help make HS diverse again.

I see it this way: Years ago HS it was embarrasing to run HS. Now HS is full of some pretty impressive equipment. (Including the Focus).

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
A fully prepped Stock SVT would be no faster than a fully prepped Stock ZX3 (especially if it's a 2.3 car)
Slower IMO.... That gearing is killer.
Unless it was an '05 ST. But I would think its a smidge heavier than a ZX3.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Unless it was an '05 ST. But I would think its a smidge heavier than a ZX3.
Sorry... I wasn't clear enough. I meant that I feel the SVT is slower.... you can't ever get it into the powerband.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The SVT is slower IMO.... That gearing is killer (in a bad way).

MOST of this proposal doesn't worry me so much... but it'll help make HS diverse again.

I see it this way: Years ago HS it was embarrasing to run HS. Now HS is full of some pretty impressive equipment. (Including the Focus).
Well I am not suprised you are in favor of the Mini S staying in GS as you drive one.

To the rest of us who would like to be able to compete in GS, the Mini S needs to go. There is no good reason for the +05's to not be in DS.

If I can find one cheap I am going to swap in a +05 Mini S trans and compete at topeka. Lets see some mini drive protest me.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Lorin doesn't drive a Mini S. He drives an H-Stock standard Cooper occasionally at National events but believe me he is still completely for the Focus.

Edit: In my opinion, the SVT Focus wasn't competitive even pre-Cooper S as it gets taken down by the Celicas as well.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Edit: In my opinion, the SVT Focus wasn't competitive even pre-Cooper S as it gets taken down by the Celicas as well.
And/Or Old-School CRX's depending on what Robert Carpenter is driving....

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Well I am not suprised you are in favor of the Mini S staying in GS as you drive one.
I've never even sat in a Cooper S, and I've barely ever driven a regular Cooper.
Anybody can borrow a car.

To the rest of us who would like to be able to compete in GS, the Mini S needs to go. There is no good reason for the +05's to not be in DS.
My research backs you up somewhat. At the tours, DS has occastionally been faster, and sometimes GS has been faster... But what does that mean? HS has been faster than GS at some events as well. I'm on the fence about a Cooper S move. I don't so much care, as long as a one-car class isn't created.

If I can find one cheap I am going to swap in a +05 Mini S trans and compete at topeka. Lets see some mini drive protest me.
....which probably wouldn't make the car more competitive, it'd just make it illegal.

There are a lot of cars out there I like that are not competitive in a given class... as much as I may like a car, it won't always be a winner in its class. You should've heard me bitch and moan when they put the Cooper into H stock... I was JUST starting to win Tours when that happened. I did get over it, however.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright I take back the statement about you wanting the Mini S in GS.

I know the Focus won't be competitive on the national level, it's just too heavy. But, if they move the classes around like they are proposing it won't even be competitive at the local level.

But, I disagree with your statement about the Mini's trans not making the SVTF more competitive. Yes the gearing is even higher. But, my largest problem is having to wait forever to put any power down. With the LSD the +05's have you won't have to wait as long. This will also lead to cooler front tire temps since you will not be spinning the inside tire as much.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
But, I disagree with your statement about the Mini's trans not making the SVTF more competitive. Yes the gearing is even higher. But, my largest problem is having to wait forever to put any power down. With the LSD the +05's have you won't have to wait as long. This will also lead to cooler front tire temps since you will not be spinning the inside tire as much.
I'm sure I took that too far... any form of LSD will make a car quicker for sure.
The strongest sense of irony that I'm sure you were getting at is that the biggest change from 04 to 05 is an LSD in the same gearbox as the SVTF... yet it remains in GS. A valid point, really.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Actually, my ZX3 weighs the same as a Cooper, and a Focus can compete Nationally, it just can't win.

It sounds like you have (some) aspirations of competing in some National Tours and the National Championships. My suggestion to you is this; browse through the results of this years events, pick the car that has been winning the most, and buy a ride in it. No where does it say you *have* to run your own car. Hell, I have yet to take my own car to a National event, always in borrowed rides.....

·
Registered
175 Posts
I read the rule changes too.

Glad to see there's plenty of other folks that saw that as well.
Exactly how do you send input to the SCCA regarding this rule change?

I just got my "Solo Safety Steward" rating, but I haven't gotten involved in the rules making/changing process....yet.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
That statement tells me that you have NOT read the Fastrack, verbatim.

If you had, you would know that the changes are actually not changes, but proposed changes that are up for member comment. Isn't it beautiful? We actually get input on the rules that govern us! Wow!

So if you don't like something, do the research, make a valid argument, and send your letters.

[email protected]

·
Registered
175 Posts
That statement tells me that you have NOT read the Fastrack, verbatim.

If you had, you would know that the changes are actually not changes, but proposed changes that are up for member comment. Isn't it beautiful? We actually get input on the rules that govern us! Wow!

So if you don't like something, do the research, make a valid argument, and send your letters.

[email protected]
Oh, I read the "green" pages all right, and realize they're just a proposal.

Hence, my question as to whom to contact with comments.
Thanks for the link!
I just haven't taken the time yet to look through the mag for a link, if it's there.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Couple of a questions:

I don't understand what exactly the changes are and how they affect the Focus owners. Is it just the fact that the Cooper will be staying in GS or is it something else?

What makes the Coop so freaking awesome that it just owns GS, and what makes the SVT nowhere near competitive (all things like driver, tires, etc being equal). They way I look at it...by the numbers i guess, the SVT should be equally competitive with its handicap being the uber-tall gearing. What am I missing?

CCC

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
My research backs you up somewhat. At the tours, DS has occastionally been faster, and sometimes GS has been faster... But what does that mean? HS has been faster than GS at some events as well. I'm on the fence about a Cooper S move. I don't so much care, as long as a one-car class isn't created.

This is what I hate about the SCCA Solo classes. You have DS, ES, GS, HS with cars in them that with the right driver and be in another class. What's the friggin' point?

F-Stock makes sence as a class because it is V-8 RWD cars. But all the others should be re-done.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

This is what I hate about the SCCA Solo classes. You have DS, ES, GS, HS with cars in them that with the right driver and be in another class. What's the friggin' point?

F-Stock makes sence as a class because it is V-8 RWD cars. But all the others should be re-done.
Well when you put it that way the entire class structure is FUBAR...interesting thought. So as long as turbo 4-bangers aren't in the same class as us N/A guess that seems like a good idea. It seems like every class has a car that just dominates almost regardless of driver. [Carribean accent]But hey, I dunno nuting mon abut dis here class ting mon...[/Carribean accent]

I do like how regionally I always shock people with the SVT. Guess I'm just that freaking awesome...I ROCK
(j/k...BTW for all you literal readers out there)

CCC

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
A couple things that make the MCS > SVT:

-More power where you need it, and the ability to put the power down.
-Lower CG
-Stiffer suspension
-Shorter wheelbase
-Shorter overhangs (if you don't think this makes a difference in autocross, you'd be wrong!
)

RE: SCCAs quirky classings
You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please everybody all of the time. If you really are unhappy with the classing decisions then by all means send a letter to the seb saying that you would like to volunteer for a position on one of the action commitees the next time a position opens up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts