Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently Toyota is developing a coupe for the Scion line... looks to be based on the Celica platform.

A friend of mine was asked to be part of market research.. and they made notes about the RSX, the Accord, the GTI, The Tiburon and the Eclipse, then they were shown the Scion...

According to what he was told, they're looking at base HP of 155, so a little peppier that the Celica GT, with a base price around $18K.

Said that it looks like its a contender between that and the RSX for him, if they released a sport version.

Heres an article about it... http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_third_scion_slated/ but I don't think thats what he saw...

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I hope it looks good. The celica and the others mentioned in the survey are pretty nice decent cars. Not bad numbers for the price. I hope it has some torque to go with it tho.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend just informed me that is the basic design.. but the back end is not the same as pictured.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Either I'm getting old, or scion styling is just too funky. I hope the coupe doesn't look like that

·
Registered
75 Posts
Either I'm getting old, or scion styling is just too funky. I hope the coupe doesn't look like that
I don't think you are getting too old, I think scions are hideous cars...and I am their target demographic. I saw one of the Xb's up close the other day, i just burst into laughter. They look like the older chevy astro's, and as far as the Xa's go those just look like a colorforms version of the matrix. So in hy opinions scion is

·
Registered
370 Posts
The cars AS-IS are really nothing to write home about, but it's a blank canvas.

Like Chrysler wants you to do with the SRT-4, Toyota wants you to do the same thing with the Scion

I give the following examples -

Scion Xa aka IST in japan

Scion Xa is HIGH on my buy list just because of this kit and how the car looks when NOT STOCK!

I like the Xb too. It's funky but in a good way and it is attention getter -

Not 56K friendly -

Now that's SLAMMED!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Because your in the midwest or east coast might have something to do with it... Car & Driver polled a few kids and young adults (from areas like yours) about the Scion and most of them didn't like it all that much either.

Like I said the car isn't special in stock form but that's what 40 and 50 year olds and dorks would do is leave it stock.

The car(s) isn't meant to be left stock...

The samething could be said about modifying Imports some 10-15 years ago. When we started doing it back in the late 80's and started selling our lowered mini trucks, you guys were just catching to get the proper look from a Mini truck.

It took the east coast until NOW to have show cars on pace with SoCal. When people start tuning the Xb and Xa, your mind will change. If it doesn't your missing out, again...

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I think the Scion coupe concept looks like a door wedge.

The other thing about the Ken Style Ist and the bB above, is that you have to put so much money into the car to make it look that good. Your cheap $14,500 xB suddenly can jump to over $20K with all the add-ons. I guess if I'm going to spend 20K on a car, it'll have a lot of the add-ons standard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts