Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How great are the gains from the SCT chip for my automatic. I cant decide if its worth the extra cost of higher octane for my daily driver. I'd like the extra power but I dont know how much ill actually get out of it, if anyone can let me know how much of a difference this chip really makes on an auto, it'd be great. Thanks guys

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
How great are the gains from the SCT chip for my automatic. I cant decide if its worth the extra cost of higher octane for my daily driver. I'd like the extra power but I dont know how much ill actually get out of it, if anyone can let me know how much of a difference this chip really makes on an auto, it'd be great. Thanks guys
on average, premium is 20cents more than regular, so it would cost you an extra 2 bucks per fill up. Trust me, the trade off is worth it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's not worth it if you don't have much work done to your car. Even with the ATX I wouldn't go with the chip until you have quite a bit of work done to the car. I feel I made a "mistake" getting the chip as early as I did. It wasn't until I got a full exhaust, intake, and a dyno tune for the chip that I thought it was worth it. If you are looking for real horsepower I would go with another bolt on instead of the chip.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As my sig says, i have an intake and exhaust, both FS ofcourse
and i wanted to get something to raise my shift points and get a little more power through the rpm range, and this seems like the best way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
SCT Chip

Here is a site with a TON of chip reviews:

Focus Hacks chip poll

As Randy has said above, go to that location and read all the various comments, and especially mine which is
the last of the FocusSport/SCT posts, and starts out "FocusSport/SCT JFA8 (Zetec/MTX) ZX3 Kona."

If you want this modification done correctly the first time, go to Randy at Focus Sport in Anaheim California,
and get the XCalibrator2 with all three octane programs installed. You will not be sorry I assure you!

This is especially important if you are not within commuting distance of Anaheim as I am because if anything isn't programmed correctly into what I call those add-on type chips, you must pull them out and send them back to Randy to get 'em modified. This is not necessary with the XCalibrator or XCalibrator2 because you are now able to make minor changes yourself without physically removing the computer chip from your car!

What could be easier and less troublesome?

Get the XCalibrator2. It is the only way to fly.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Re: SCT Chip

The FocusSport SCT is the best overall bolt on modification in my oppinion. I noticed a big difference between the stock and high octane programs, and my milage improved. The shift program for ATX that FocusSport offers is a nice addition but is not the same as having a recalibrated valve body. If you do not already have an underdrive pulley, I would suggest that to add some nice easy bolt-on horsepower too.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

alright well im on the complete opposite side of the country lol..so going to Randy isnt an option. Im gonna think about it for a little bit, its either the chip or the sportline kit
..should decide by the end of the week.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts

90% of our customers aren't local, so that reall isn't much of an issue. With the new XCal2 that we offer, we're enabling user options, so YOU can go in and do some tweeks as you are flashing your car without any other equipment. You can adjust spark, rev limit, idle, fuel at WOT, tire size, and fan activation. Works awesome.

·
Registered
192 Posts
As my sig says, i have an intake and exhaust, both FS ofcourse
and i wanted to get something to raise my shift points and get a little more power through the rpm range, and this seems like the best way.
It looks like you may only have a cat back. Is that right? If so I would seriously consider a header and bigger flex.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah im gonna hold off untill next spring to do anything else to the car. Suspension is the last thing going on this fall then im spent for this year. Ill buy my parts this winter and slap them on as soon as possible in the spring, thanks for the advice tho guys, appreciate it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts