Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
How well did the cars performance and drivabilty improve with the SCT flash ?
Awesome! Do not look for anything by way of an extreme HP and TQ gain, but there will be one. All of the SVTFs little demons that it posseses are all ironed out. Not only do you get smoother running car, you'll also have the ability to upgrade you car performance wise with whatever you want, then get a new tune and load it into you car's computer via Xcal 1 or 2.

To make a long story short, just consider buying one. You will be happy!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. I already have the ORP, Borla and AIM CAI. Is the take off easier after the tune ? No more bogging down unless there is too much gas ?

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Everything should be way better. You just need to let the tuner know what you would like out of it and what problems you are having. That way they can get you the right tune.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I sure didn't get "way better".

It may take SEVERAL tune adjustments to get it right - keep trying. Don't expect miracles, either - like something more than barely noticeable torque gains. But the tuners can definitely help the bogging.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, I'm not completely satisfied:
The first two tunes sure eliminated the bog but the timing seemed so far flung that the car was a bitch to drive during gridlock and I ended up with a check engine light.
The latest tune which I'm still running eliminated the CEL and improved drivablity in the higher rpms but the low end bog is back(albeit not as bad). Still waiting for word from Hypnotic on any improvements.
My fuel economy did improve: I'm getting almost 20mpg(used to get about 14!) in the city and that's with my foot in it most of the time.
Don't expect miracles without forced air is my conclusion; but whose got 6 grand lying around?!
J

·
Registered
37 Posts
its not sct its the person or shop providing the tune...
heres an example, my dyno sheet when i got my sct xct

you can see the diff from stock tune (blue) to sct tune (red). not huge peak gains but it really woke up my powerband, esp at low rpm and around 5k rpm

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I think that is a good choice. I think they have great customer service and also some good prices

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the FS 93octane ZED0 and RLA6 tunes and like them a lot. Have been running the RLA6 lately and have been averaging 36 mpg over the last 5 tanks. And, the car runs great too! All problems gone and lots more torque down low.

·
Registered
401 Posts
In a couple weeks I'm probably going to get the Xcalibrator 2 but the problem is I have an RLA1 and there isn't an option for the RLA1 when you purchase the flash. Do I have to call them or something, or am I sh*t out of luck?

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
In a couple weeks I'm probably going to get the Xcalibrator 2 but the problem is I have an RLA1 and there isn't an option for the RLA1 when you purchase the flash. Do I have to call them or something, or am I sh*t out of luck?
I would call Focus Sport I am sure they can help you some how.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
You'd just select the RLA6 program, works great on the RLA1 cars.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the FS 93octane ZED0 and RLA6 tunes and like them a lot. Have been running the RLA6 lately and have been averaging 36 mpg over the last 5 tanks. And, the car runs great too! All problems gone and lots more torque down low.
36MPG!?
Are you sh--ing me?!
That must be a LOT of highway driving.
I've been running the SCT RLA6(or however it's referred to
)and I've been happy to see my, predominantly city driving, get up just under 20mpg.
Geesh, just how ARE you figuring out your gas mileage—36mpg?! Give me a break, my car must REALLY suck.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
My FS flash is great (like most others I prefer the RLA6 flash - my alternate is the YRF0). Most bog is gone down low, although some is still present w/ the A/C on. Strangely, I notice the biggest factor for my car is the ambient temp. While in Vegas for the 4th of July weekend, I thought something was wrong with my car because it was back to bogging again, didn't feel right. However, once back in cooler air everything was A-OK again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My normal commute to work is only 8 miles. 2 of stop and go lights to the highway and the rest 70mph. Every tank has at least a week of back and forth to work on it so that is 10 cold starts.

I normally drive gently when just going from here to there. Shifting around 2000 and staying off the brakes. The mileage calculations are the same way everyone else does it. BTW, I normally see 350 miles by the time I am at 1/4 tank and can only stuff 9 to 9.5 gallons or so in until it is full in the neck. Very happy with the mileage and how the car runs too!

Oh, it DOES make a difference WHAT BRAND of fuel I run. There is a place in town where I normally get gas that seems to be a couple or three mpg better than the others. And a couple of cents cheaper too!

·
Registered
385 Posts
36MPG!?
Are you sh--ing me?!
That must be a LOT of highway driving.
I've been running the SCT RLA6(or however it's referred to
)and I've been happy to see my, predominantly city driving, get up just under 20mpg.
Geesh, just how ARE you figuring out your gas mileage—36mpg?! Give me a break, my car must REALLY suck.
I have gotten right at 36mpg on road trips, my normal day to day is probably 80/20 highway/city and I average 28-30mpg. Before I moved when I was driving 10/90 highway/city I was still getting 26-28mpg. The only times I was below 26mpg I was really beating on the car and 21mpg is the worst so far (8-1/4 mile passes, 4 dyno runs, and a lot of generalized testing on that tank).

·
Registered
385 Posts

1 - 20 of 30 Posts