Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just picked up an 01 zx3 and it came with an sct tuner, i've played with it a bit but i have no idea where to start honestly. my mazda runs megasquirt and i'm self taught but grasp most of the basics of tuning.

it was supercharged at one point in time and i'm wondering if maybe the tune on the programmer is s/c based and not optimal for my current setup, i need to pick up a usb and firewire cable as well as a wideband before i go overdoing it. i've advanced the timing on the tune a couple degrees over the whole band and it did wonders for the mid to high rpm range but still has a garbage idle and occasionally stalls. tonight i took of the 1 7/8 inch catted(plugged up) exhaust and installed a 2 1/4 inch catless pipe and hks muffler and that helped huge but i still feel like theres a lot left to tune for.
the handheld will only allow me to strategy tune right now and tells me to contact a local tuner when i attempt to use custom tune.

current motor setup as far as i know is 2.0 zetec, fswerks 4-1, 2 1/4 catless exhaust, volant cai, sc grind cams, kent adjustable gears, unknown catch can no pcv setup, 93 octane tune, ported throttle body.

where do i start lol.

·
I
13,291 Posts
You'll need the actual software to do any sort of tuning. Unless you can get the file from the tuner, you won't be able to modify anything on the current tune and would have to start over. I'm used to MS tuning as well (run an MS1 setup on my Merkur) so you'll be in for quite a surprise with the SCT stuff.

Do you know who tuned it previously?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've heard it was randy formerly of fswerks i believe, but i bought this off a guy that didnt have a clue what he had.

its apparently got kent cams, definetly has a fswerks 4-1 and 2 1/4 exhaust, adjustable kent cam gears, ported throttle body confirmed by one of the forum members. i dont have a clue really as this is my first focus so i've got lots to learn about what i have.

but this car was originally tuned by randy apparently when it was sc'd and i'm thinking by the ways its acting that it still has a tune based on boost that it no longer makes...... was tuned for 60# injectors as well and idles like a bag of ****. gonna clean the iac and put new plugs in this week so if that helps.
Right now without a wideband i'm flying blind but i did changes some parameters on the handheld "strategy tune". advanced timing 2 degrees(0-2000rpm) 3 degrees(2000-4000rpm) 2 degrees(4000-redline) set redline at 6900rpm. set idle to 804rpm and lower fan trigger temps to 192 low fan 196 high fan. also leaned out wot fuel by 2.0. definetly runs a lot better but i really need a wideband and a dyno session to really figure things out. i can street tune to an extent but blindy i won't go farther then i already have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
going to be heading to da silva's in a few weeks. going to start from scratch and build a proper tune.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts