Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that you all are buying SCT Xcal 2, how many people are doing Datalogs of their engine?

I just did about 2 hours worth of logs. I am logging Intake Temperature, Coolant Temperature, Cylinder Head Temp, SPARK advance and MAF reading!

My Coolant Temperature 209-214 degrees F
My Cylinder Head Temp 225-239 degrees F
My Peak MAF #/minute was 11,300

I would be very interested in seeing someone's SPARK logs, mine seems to jum around (-5 to +39 degrees advance) at part throttle, or decelerating in gear.

Under WOT in 5th gear accelerating 55-100MPH Spakr Advance levels off at either 16 degrees or 22ish degrees advance.

At part throttle (cruise control in 5th gear @ 75MPH, my advance can be as much as 35 degrees).

I wonder if this all makes sense to anyone. I would love to see someone else's logs and would share mine.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just curious... did you buy any tunes with your Xcal 2 or are you doing all of the tuning yourself?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I've always heard that the duratec has some weird spark timing for emission purposes and for fuel conservation or something...

I'm unclear about what goes on during shifting... i've heard that the engine pulls timing as much as 20 degrees... Does this result in horsepower decrease?

someone with knowledge please step in.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be cool to log your car Foci_fosho, you almost live "next door" to me, I hope you'll make it to the next meet or something.

The car doesn't seem to pull timing that much, but it does seem to advance them by almost 30 degrees.

Also during deceleration advance gradually decreases, maybe to reduce NOx or other emissions, not really sure.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It would be cool to log your car Foci_fosho, you almost live "next door" to me, I hope you'll make it to the next meet or something.

The car doesn't seem to pull timing that much, but it does seem to advance them by almost 30 degrees.

Also during deceleration advance gradually decreases, maybe to reduce NOx or other emissions, not really sure.
I'm sure the timing changes under decelleration are what cause the burping noise with any flex back exhaust. I think that having less back pressure also has a lot to do with it. But the funky timing changes are a big part of it.

I wonder if the non pzevs do this?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not quite sure yet, but I think this ECU is very funky.

I can swear that sometimes I feel like I lose/gain 10-15whp, but then it is hard to feel that little power with the butt dyno, or alteast being accurate at it.

I will slowly try to wire other sensors independent of the ECU, like Wide Band, maybe I'll try to tap knock sensor (if possible), oil temp and so on. I am also sure there is a way to measure spark. I mean all you have to know is TDC, so TDC sensor + inductive pickup for the plugs and RPMs to measure timing advance.

The main thing is ECU must be by-passed to take measurments.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
the sct will probably be my next upgrade... I don't think i'll have a need for datalogging purposes though... But then again, it's only like 50-60 bucks more...

are these devices VIN-locked?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts