Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I finally got to ride a Segway Wed. at the EMCWA conference in Indy.

Coolest thing ever.

Give them a chance, they could change the world!

·
Registered
251 Posts
errrr u meean I get huurt, err if the batuuries die awwwww..

whats this world comming to...

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
funny. one guy busts his head and there is a recall. Thousands of Focus owners stall out on the freeway and there is no fuel pump recall.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
I thought I'd toss in this quote from someone on VWVortex who happens to work for Consumer Reports Magazine.

I am quite certain that I have more Segway time than anyone else in the Car Lounge. (And no, it wasn't purchased with my money, and it isn't really mine.)
The Segway warns you A LOT that the batteries are about to die. A red light flashes, a warning siren goes off, and the stick shakes like a stall indicator in an airplane. It gives you 10 seconds to get off when this happens. This is clearly documented in the manual, and covered in the (then) mandatory two hour training session.

I'm confused as to why they are recalling the product, except that I don't think the expectation and acceptance of risk has been figured out yet on this product. It's similar to a car running out of gas. The gauge clearly reads "empty," yet you keep going. When you finally run out, and you get rear-ended, whose fault is it?

The Segway does have one different trait though. After that warning goes off, if you wait a minute or two, the batteries "recover" enough to let you ride somemore. Maybe riders just kept doing that...and doing that...and doing that...until the bitter end. Still, seems like misuse. I wonder what the software change will be to fix it....

Oh yeah - it is a toy, but a cool one all the same. It would be good for commuting short distances, if your route allowed it and you were so inclined.

All opinions my own, not CRs.

Tom
Seems more like rider error than anything the product should be recalled for. Unless it actually malfunctioned I see no need to change the software of the unit - maybe booting the owner in the ass would fix things.

>8^)
ER

1 - 8 of 8 Posts