Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know what advice/recommendations people had about selling a car. Do I need to draw up an agreement and have them sign it, etc.

The reason I ask is that a friend recently sold his car to a high school kid, who blew the motor in about a week, and is sueing to get his money back. Just for the record the kid had totaled his last car going 120 racing somebody on a 2 lane road...stupid.
Anyway, just looking to avoid any hassles.

-Andrew

·
Wanna touch my tots?
6,805 Posts
i think that this should be in Pit Stop. but other than that i don't know anything about selling a car. just my body

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so in ohio(where I am), you have to get the title signature notarized, but in michigan(where the buyer is from) you don't have to get it notarized. Also, I am signing the title over to 3 people, anything special I have to do with that?

-Andrew

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
To my knowledge, here in MI you can only have one name on a vehicle title.

What I have done in the past when I've sold my 2 previous cars, is printed up a little 'document' saying the car is sold 'as-is, no warranty or guarantee of any sort, written or implied on vehicle.' But, if there are parts on the vehicle that I've replaced or had replaced that are under warranty and I still have the work orders and/or receipts from the parts, I give them to the new owner in case the part(s) fail on them within the warranty period.

I never had a problem with people signing the agreement thing.

·
[FJ] Fail Brigade
4,986 Posts
Ok so in ohio(where I am), you have to get the title signature notarized, but in michigan(where the buyer is from) you don't have to get it notarized. Also, I am signing the title over to 3 people, anything special I have to do with that?

-Andrew
yeah my friend baught a bike froma guyin ohio and got us all confused when trying to register it in CT because he though that maybe it had to be notarized for him to register it here but it was only notarized from when the previous owner baught it from the original owner. turns out he just had to bring the bike to the DMV so they can check the VIN to the one on file with the title. no bill of sale or anything was needed.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Just wanted to know what advice/recommendations people had about selling a car. Do I need to draw up an agreement and have them sign it, etc.

The reason I ask is that a friend recently sold his car to a high school kid, who blew the motor in about a week, and is sueing to get his money back. Just for the record the kid had totaled his last car going 120 racing somebody on a 2 lane road...stupid.
Anyway, just looking to avoid any hassles.

-Andrew
I would draw up an agreement saying that your not libal for any repairs after sale and the car is sold as-is

I'm sure you can find a car bill of sales to print out on the net to cover your ass with

1 - 7 of 7 Posts