Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to take the board down for a while (soon). I don't know how long it will be, it could be days. We will provide the phpBB board again, but with a few more forums than just one big OT.

What we're doing:

1) Pruning the board to hell and back. Most topics that haven't seen action for the last 30 days will be either removed, or archived. Making the board lean and mean should help with the board speed quite a bit. Really important stuff will be kept around in searchable form.

2) Upgrading to a different board software. No, not phpBB, we're staying with infopop's UBB line of forums, but we're moving to a new, highly-tuned database-driven forum software. This is what will take the longest amount of time, because it has to manually reap every single user, every PM, every forum, every thread and post, and put them into the database. My initial dry run shows that we can import 100,000 threads (or so) per day. Right now, the board will take about a week to import. Pruning it down should help us a lot, I hope to keep the import within 24 hours time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Woah... are you deleting old technical threads? That'd... suck...

·
Registered
747 Posts
Originally posted by wrcfan:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by GaryV:
Yeah, doesn't removing threads fly in the face of that "Use the SEARCH button" mentality we're so fond of around here?

Some topics just run out of steam because the question/issue has been answered, but the answer is still valuable to have around.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Trust me, there is a lot of crap mixed in. We will only be deleting non-relevant threads.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">\

As I stated to axon in another thread in off topic, you may want to check out www.webvelosix.com to see their BB software.

It runs on Linux OR Windows, is free, and centered around a database-design.

It's scalable and fast as hell. It has a ton of features too.

(some friends of mine wrote it so I am a bit biased...)

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
One thing that baffles me is:

The board was fast enough prior to the move, even WITH the old threads clogging it up.

How is this any more than a temporary solution?

Isn't it somehow possible to return to the previous level of performance without any changes?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, doesn't removing threads fly in the face of that "Use the SEARCH button" mentality we're so fond of around here?

Some topics just run out of steam because the question/issue has been answered, but the answer is still valuable to have around.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by P-51:
Woah... are you deleting old technical threads? That'd... suck...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">a lot of the old technical threads will be archived. Redundant questions will probably be deleted. We may be calling on the tech mods to help us prune the archives, but we certainly won't blatantly permanently delete the goodies.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Originally posted by GaryV:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Trust me, there is a lot of crap mixed in. We will only be deleting non-relevant threads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts