Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 ZX3 S in Sangria Red paints 6 months old. Right fender has been repainted due to a person keying it.

Ok So I wash my car alot and I noticed it several times that there are fine sweeping mini swirl like scratches in the paint(which disapear with waxing) I have always wondered what it was from because it did it on my last focus. I think I figured it out. Its the shammy, the swrils are in the direction I dry it off and I alwyas attibuted it to dirt in my wash mit or something. Has any one had this problem of the shammy murduring your clearcoat? I dont know if its even hurting the clear coat or if its pulling off the wax on the car and exposing the truely terrible looking swoopy swirl things(ther not swirls its like millions of fine keymarks that shine when the sun hits it) My right fender which was repainted and hast been buffed or wetsanded yet always looks like this because the fender has 2 paint drips that have to be removed and im told it needs buffing on that fender. Will buffing the whole car remove this nasty shammy burn as I call it or is it the shammy itself? I am gunna buy a new one tommarow and wax the car and see what happens?

Any insight is helpfull!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
What's a "shammy"????

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
What's a "shammy"????
Actually it is chamois which sounds like shammy.

Which is supple leather designed to dry off a car(I am sure you already knew that).

Back on topic:
Maybe the chamois needs to be cleaned since it gathers dirt when drying your car each time then when you dry it again the imbedded dirt scratches the paint finish.Just a thought.Or just dry your car with microfiber towels which absorbs a lot more water.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My chamios?! Is kinda tired so I think Ill just get a new one or micro fiber towels. However where do you get a big MF towel all I see is the small rag size ones. Once I switch to those you think that I wont have to worry about the scratches after washing or is there something I need to do to repair the paint?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Autozone. Meguiars has a microfiber cloth that is huge. Something like 36"X48" or maybe a shade smaller. It dried my whole car and never need to be wringed out. I would also suggest the california water blade to dry the large flat surfaces before you use the microfiber. Make sure it is clean before you use it though. Nate.

·
[dd] - Dentless Dave
8,742 Posts
You can also purchase a Porter-Cable DA polisher and put a buffing pad on it. It spins with less RPM's so you don't accidentally leave more swirls or (holigrams).

Definately clean your chamois or purchase a new one. I usually save my old one to dry my wheels and tires.

dentless dave!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
have you ever tried the mr.clean washing system so you dont even have to dry your car. i have a black car and this thing works awesome, never any water spots. also those light lines in the clearcoat i used to get those too, now i REALLY rinse the wash mitt good in between every section i wash.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I'm not really sure buffing would take it out, especially after your car has been wetsanded. Only reason is that wetsanding is almost one of those "last straw" methods if you can't wax/buff the area to a good condition.

For starters, ditch the chamois. Get a new one, or get a good quality microfibre cloth.

You may need to go to a fine scratch/swirl remover being applied to the car before applying a final coat of wax too.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Send the shammy thru the wash...I usually do this every time I wash my car, I dry off my rockers last, and, well...thats where most of the dirst comes from. Just throw it in next time you wash your socks or something, don't bleach it or put it in the dryer. Take it out of the wash and roll it up and put it back in its tube, I have been doing this for years now, 5 cars later, same shammy.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Does nobody here use an Absorber?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey take it from a bodyshop guy. If you buff it right it will look new again. There are many reasons and not to mention elements that make your clear finish look that way. Its a combination of many things thats why waxing helps alot. Now my suggestion is if your going to buy a chamios than no joke don't spend wasted money on expensive ones go to Walmart and buy the absorber. I swear buy it. and to help keep the marks from reacurring as bad do not rub in circular motion. Take long straight strokes(dont laugh). It will help.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Mine is the absorber branded shammy. I just took it from the wash today and washed my car for the 4th time in the last 2 weeks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Really, mabybe the trouble has been there but just now noticing it. It's inevitable. Are u using the soap brush at a car wash? I know those can cause the same effect. To truly clean your car well and to be easy on your paint was your car by hand with a soft towel you can use an old chomois for this. It works great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts