Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
You're asking for Trouble w/ EXTREMELY Minimal Gains.
The smaller Diameter, along with the reduced weight is what makes an Underdrive Pulley beneficial.
I recommend the AF/X.
It makes even your shaved one look like an anvil.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And tell me why i am asking for trouble? Why dont you explain yourself. Or are you shooting out of your hoo-haa?
I have had an Esslinger on my car for 2 years and decided to go with something different. I have enough mods now that i can afford 2-3 hp reduction for smoother ride. Don't take it the wrong way but don't just assume you are the only one with a UDP.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
My af/x udp didnt make the ride rough, so why are u saying you wanted it smoother?

Someone decided to do that to their flywheel, shaved some off, and ended up snapping apart because it couldnt handle the stress.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
And tell me why i am asking for trouble? Why dont you explain yourself. Or are you shooting out of your hoo-haa?
I have had an Esslinger on my car for 2 years and decided to go with something different. I have enough mods now that i can afford 2-3 hp reduction for smoother ride. Don't take it the wrong way but don't just assume you are the only one with a UDP.
I'm just looking at increased likelihood of belt loss/slippage. For the extremely minimal gain over unshaved, I personally wouldn't want to take ANY risk, however small.
If there was a MASSIVE Improvement, and only a slight chance of failure, it'd be different.
I'm NOT Saying that you're definitely Doomed, just that the possibility is there, and there's not enough gains to substantiate any risk at all.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
BTW, HOW did you shave it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
looks like he has a lathe. anyways, i think ford would have put enough strength into their pullys that if shaved down properly (with a lathe) it will hold up to the stress just fine. i somehow doubt that aftermarket companies spend thousands of dollars on R&D for a simple machined part.

so have you driven it yet with the shaved pully? i'm curious if you can feel the gains. obviously its still heavy as fffffffff... cause its steel right? the others are aluminum. but props for trying something new with stock parts.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I got to admit...shaving the crank pulley is a unique idea but I think you'd be better off buying an aftermarket pulley...Why you ask?

1. Aftermarket pullies are lighter then your stock pulley. Your stock pulley weighs in about 3.5 lbs or so, but an after market pulley can weigh as little as 10 oz!!! Yes, shaving your OEM pulley well reduce the weight but not by 3 lbs.

2. The after market pullies are made and tested to work well within your engine. Some even use your stock belt (Exp. Focus Central pullies) but yours is untested and might not fit your belt. It well be hard to find a belt that runs smooth or that fits your shaved pulley.

3. Aftermarket pullies usually don't only come with a crank pulley but also a waterpump pulley = you get two aftermarket pullies not just one!

I know i'm being bias and maybe a little skeptical but getting an aftermarket pulley is trually worth the $$$$$. Yes it is expensive (about $120 for most pulley sets) but for all the reasons above you can't go wrong. Hay, just be happy you own a Focus because Honda people have to go through much more expensive experiences just to get the same pullies.

PEACE

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Hitokiri, he had an aftermarket UDP, and decided on this to be different. maybe he doesn't want to underdrive his accessories, i dont know. he DOES know his **** though.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
i somehow doubt that aftermarket companies spend thousands of dollars on R&D for a simple machined part.
A crank pulley is pretty easy to make if you have a CNC machining abilities. It doesn't really cost that much to make one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Guys,

Michaelxi, i shaved her on my lathe, the casting is pretty thick and most of my removal was by chamfering squares and trenching front and especialy back side.

Chris, whenever i dealt with you you were nothing but great,
you pay shipping both ways and i'll spin it for you for FREE!

Rest of you guy's, i make supercharger overdrive, stock size but aluminum and underdrive pullys and i have had all but the overdrive on my ride, like i said, i have enough stuff on my car to loose the 2-3 HP from the UDP and not mind. The car feels smoother at idle and i get full charge for my Genny (short drives) and if it's good enough for TurboTom and CTZX3 it's OK by me.

Thank you for all the replies...

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I'm just glad to know you used a lathe and not a dremmel, due to the potential for Horrible balance.
I hope you understand that I wasn't condemning your work, just not convinced on the benefit vs. risk.
Those who misunderstood put their own attitudes behind my words.
Good luck w/ all of your endeavors.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I, too didn't want to screw around with underdriving all of my accessories. Thats' why I bought an aluminum stock size pulley from VME, and an underdrive on my alternator.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts