Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the autox today, didnt even get to the drivers meeting, me and some friends went to the store, i shifted to thrid and it ground really bad, thought i missed it so i just went to 4th. Went back to 3rd, stick went all the way forward like it engaged, let the clutch out just ground like it wasnt even trying to engage. Thought i just lost 3rd. Decided to leave the autox got on the main road tried to goto 5th and nothing no grinding or anything. Shifter just turned to a joystick, no "gates" or anything.

Pulled over moved the shifter around, heard a clunk, looked under my car and found this under my car

Pulled my volant off and felt the shaft going into the tranny, very slight cone shape roung obviously sheard the head off that held the arm on.

You can see the damage on the fork, obviously it has been rubbing for a while.

Now, i got a 60k extended warranty and im at 59,200. Will ford fix it or will they give me [censored] about the mods. Obviously they will but if i roll in with just exhaust?

Meaning put stock air box and tb, suspension, shifter everything but the exhaust, which i cant change, will they fix it? Any advice?

If they wont fix it, what are my options, how hard would i be to replace this assembly, i dont have a picture of it, but it seems to be pressed onto the shaft. so would i have to crack open the tranny replace the arm/shaft/fork? How much are used mtx's goin for at junkyards, anyone got one for sale. Im an E-3 in the Air Force and money is SERIOUSLY tight.

Need serious help...

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Re: Shift Fork Sheared Off, Normal Driving, NEED HELP!

That sucks! If it was normal driving there is no way Your mods could have caused the shift lever to break. If Your driving caused it, then I would just deal with it and pay for the repair.

Removing modifications prior to repair can be construde as warranty fraud and if Ford wants to, they can sue You for the fraud.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Can anyone get the part # for the shift arm/shaft assembly? It is the outboard arm, It gets its movement from the vertical movement of the shifter.

·
Registered
657 Posts

all you have to do is go strait to the gm of the service dep. talk to him/her 1st. no one, else then tell him the deal also have you done anything to the trans??? (clutch ect...)if not, tell them that. that way the mods you have on there will not effect the trans. and cant be blamed on them... but make sure that you emp. on how it is REALLY norm driving!!! if he calls you out then you really go them by the balls!!! it worked for me
i had it so that when i went in they would just give me the part and a tech would sign off on it and i would go home and put it on myself....let me know...ROLL ON

·
Banned
1,327 Posts

The part in question is not serviced by Ford individually. It is only available as part of the assembly on top of the gearbox. It appears the failure was at the weld, meaning a faulty weld, hard driving or a combination of both. The fix is to either have it welded back on, or buy the rather expensive new assembly from Ford.

Walter Marcy
Marcy Motorsport

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

thanks bfocused and marcy for your input.

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow seeing what i can do cuz it did happen under normal driving. personally i would think a cheap plastic tower would snap before the arm.

If not i found a few junkyards around here with prices for a tranny from 550 to 650 bux. But they list like 3 different "ID"'s: XS4R-WC, YS4R-WA, YS4R-NA. What is the difference

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Also does anyone have a picture of the shift arms on the trany from both sides, front and back? I wanna see how they are mounted cuz the back side of mine is ground down so they mating surface is really thin.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

well called up the dealer told them everything and the guy i talked to was cool, he said the inspectors that would come inspect it would say it was caused by my mods and not deal with it. I figured they were gonna say that and i dont feel like fighting with them to prove it.

So it looks like im gonna have to buy a tranny, or this part i dunno

1 - 8 of 8 Posts