Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm still having issues with the shift cable linkage.

When I first starting messing with them a couple months ago I had a very hard time getting into reverse, almost like there was no hump to go over. Had in the car in for service and asked them if maybe the linkage needed to be adjusted, the tech said there seemed to be a lot of slack in the cable so he apparently adjusted it but now it is hard to get into (a little hard to get into)5th and (very hard to get into) 6th gear. It took him a couple tries to get it adjusted because the first time he tried I had no 6th gear, then when I took it back he adjusted it and now I can just barely get it in 6th gear.

I think somehow he adjusted the cable from the transmission side of the car underneath. Because the time it took him to make the adjustment the second timeI doubt he removed the airbox.

Sorry for the novel I just wanted you guys to have the full details. Should I just try making the adjustment using the steps below? Or will I be screwed because he has already adjusted it the wrong way? Any advice or pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Adjusting the linkage is easy:
1. Put the shifter in neutral
2. Carefully pop/pry up the orange lock on the back of the cable end
3. Wiggle the shifter around trying to find the best center position - don't shift into a gear
4. Push in the orange lock on the back of the cable end
Take it out for a test drive and see how all the gear gates feel.
Adjust if necessary again (likely won't need to).
Sometimes the cable housings come out of the body attachment clips (under the heat shielding in the 'tunnel') and can flop around a bit ... requiring a cable adjustment.
Some early-build SVTs had the MTX-style cable ends (as shown in the Focushacks article).
Newer builds have a cable end where the lock pops out instead of in (as shown in my earlier posted pic).

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to update went out and messed around with the cable underneath the airbox, my clip has an orage square but there is no middle part to it is this the way it is supposed to be?

I can pop it up and there is white plastic underneath, I don't see how this is affecting anything. I can also push the orange clip in and it has a spring motion to it. Kind of lost here, I am still having a really hard time getting it into 6th gear...

·
Registered
331 Posts
When you pop it out it allows the cable to freely move within the lever at the trans. Put it in neutral, move the lever far left, then far right and go back to the exact middle. Now engage the clip without moving anything and you should be good to go. There is a how to on FF.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the hollow orange clip up but I could not tell a difference after I pushed it back in. It is almost like something is supposed to go in the middle of the orange clip. The how to from FF is in my first post above, the pic on there does not look like my clip though.

·
))((
3,710 Posts
wait what? When I bought my new cables the orange tabs were popped out so I could make the adjustment. Once they were installed I had to pop the tabs in. You pull the orange clips out to make your adjustment and push them back in to lock in what you adjusted.

·
Registered
123 Posts
On my 03, the Orange Box clip has to be pulled out.. PITA

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wait what? When I bought my new cables the orange tabs were popped out so I could make the adjustment. Once they were installed I had to pop the tabs in. You pull the orange clips out to make your adjustment and push them back in to lock in what you adjusted.

When you push mine in on my 02 its just a springing motion down then it goes right back up.

Is the orange clip supposed to be hollow in the middle? Or is something supposed to be there?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mines hollow...
Push it RIGHT down. I think it'll 'click' and stay down until you push it again.
Yep it does click in, but then as soon as I move the shifter it pops up again. I have it in a pretty good position now, but I am still wondering if my little orange clip is messed up. Uploading pics of it soon...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please see the below pics. The first two are of my clip, the last is of another that I found on the forums.

Let me know if you see anything off. Thanks again

By nvmaddog at 2010-06-10

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So it works the same way then?

It just feels when I pry it up that nothing is happening and there really isnt a lock function. The car shifts a ton better now an reverse, 5th and 6th are where they are supposed to be, the little clip just doesn't lock like I guess I was expecting.

·
))((
3,710 Posts
the third picture is the type you have to pull up the two you took are the ones you have to push down. I never knew they made them like that either.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My car has a slight difficulty going into every gear. When I shift it stops for a second, then drops into gear. This kind of resistance when shifting doesn't seem normal. Is there any way this could be matter of shift linkage adjustment? This may be a stupid question but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
210 Posts
No not at all, just difficult. When the car is stationary it goes into gear very smoothly like it should; even when the car is running. But as soon as the It's moving I really have to push it into gear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts