Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people ask me on a daily basis how they can tell what kind of shifter they have. Instead of explaining it over the phone, I thought it would be more helpful for you to see pics.

The shifter base on the left is the 2000-2002.5 MTX75 shifter(notice the height of the tower) and the right side is in all cars that are built from April 2002 onwards..

Notice the difference in the way the cables are supported on the later model part.

Here is another view.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Those pics really help get an understanding, thanks man!

Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
are they interchangable?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No.

Originally posted by AphidAudio:
based on the difference of designs, which one is better?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The new model.

- Drew

·
Registered
612 Posts
Originally posted by AphidAudio:
based on the difference of designs, which one is better?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">definately the new one.. I've already broken one of the 00-02.5 shifter towers

·
Registered
874 Posts
Very enlightening. Thanks Nader!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Blue... I believe that shift knob is from the 2003 models. They do look better than the previous foci shift knobs in person.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by BlueZTS:
Very interesting...

What shift knob is that? I want.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That knob came stock on my 2002.5 (with the new shifter)

·
Registered
75 Posts
In my 2002.0 I got that crappy plastic one...

Though with my FC shifter I like the one I have now

I would like to have one that has leather (or like leather) I wonder how much this would cost?

How much to do the conversion to the new shift design?

I assume that FC is designing a shorty for the new design, so to buy this all at once and drop it in would be a nice upgrade.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A conversion can be done. We have performed this swap on our red car and you cant begin to compare the two. In addition to the changes inside the car the shifter mechanism on top of the transmission has been revised/refined. You also need new cables and bracket that mounts on the tranny to hold the cables in place.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well, I got the stock plastic knob leather coated (real leather) at a car leather shop. It looks great and costed me sth. like $10...

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I just got the cougar knob 29 bucks froim fordpartsonline.com The cougar knob is smooth leater the top is a bright silver not the greyish look for the focus knob. Here is the part number, 1S8Z-7213-BB Ill have some pics up in team rigs later this afternoon.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So what would be the cost of a swap since you've done one nader? Nothing really against my 2001 shifter, just wondering. And how hard was it to do? oh yeah, like nick said, get a cougar shift knob, it's black leather with a brushed aluminum medallion on the top with the shift pattern in it. It feels SOOO much better than that plastic thing. Looks just like the knob pictured but with real leather and not plastic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts