Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i need your expert opinion and help as soon as possible. I purchased a short air intake by ebay and i just got it in today. Unfortunatly it didn't come with instructions... Now i know some of you are saying "what a retard can't figure it out" but i can't and yes i must be retarded. Hence those who whish to help a retard in need help me plz!!!!

Here is a picture of the parts i got.

what goes where and also i know there is a censor where the hell does it go? thank you!

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Please delete. Sorry about that.

[ 11-06-2002, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: zetecinside ]

·
Registered
662 Posts
Looks to me like you are missing something. As you said, a way to install the MAFS. The smaller rubber sleeve would attach the MAFS to the new tube, but the other ends needs something on it to install your new filter. I don't see a filter in your picture, did it come with one?

As bgkast said, see http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/mac-cai.htm

That's an install how-to for the MAC short intake, the install procedure would be very similar. Except your kit does not have the MAFS-to-filter adapter. Also you kit uses that metal mounting peice to hold the kit in place, where as the MAC kit uses the MAFS-to-filter adapter as a multi-purpose device, with little feet to fit into the stock bushing after you remove the stock box...

That yellow hose would of course go to the PCV vent on the valve cover, to the hole on the new pipe to recirculate the gases venting out of the valve cover.

The shoes are a mystery, first time I've seen an intake kit come with shoes

[ 11-06-2002, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: myFordPerformance.com ]

·
Registered
54 Posts
shoes, and CD's with an intake. How many HP do the CD's give you. Seriously, that little metal piece they give for mounting is garbage. Go outside and throw it as far as you can. The go to Home Depot. In the plumbing section you'll find pipe hangers. The look like the metal thing that you just threw into your neighbor's yard, but the is an adjustable ring connected to it. You obviously can't hang the intake pipe from the hood so flip it upside down and loosen one of the bolts where the stock airbox used to be. Should be stable now. If you have any questions pm me

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Darn Flea-Bay....
Tricking people into thinking they got a deal.....
The shoes will really suck as a filter.
I wouldn't use them....
The CD's MIGHT be useable for mounting the MAFS to the tube, but I Dunno....
J/K....

Honestly, it looks like you got gypped on a generic, Incomplete kit.
There seems to be no reasonable way to properly attach the Sensor to the intake, AND if it doesn't have one, you're going to have to "Rig" a filter.....
I'd recommend cutting my losses and buy a real intake from one of the FJ sponsors.
I know that sounds like a "Scripted response", but honestly, what are you going to do w/ the parts that you bought w/o the rest of the kit??
By the time you get finished "Rigging it", you'll not only be frustrated, but possibly have a "Less than ideal", maybe "worse than stock" intake....

I know it's no consolation, but I see no reasonable alternative but to try to return it or cut losses and ditch it, unless the seller can tell you EXACTLY how to adapt it.

·
I can do no WRONG
1,356 Posts
All that is needed is another 3" coupler to go between the MAF and the intake tube. The filter can go directly on the other end of the MAF, it's usually a tight squeeze but can be done.

I am sure that the AEM short or the MAC is easier to install, but the OBX/Bomz can be had for $50.00. If you are money challenged and willing to tinker, it's a good deal. If you want it to fit perfectly out of the box, it is a terrible deal.

Lastly, I emailed the folks that sold me mine and they sent me another 3" coupler no charge.

Looked at your pic again, you need 2 couplers.

[ 11-07-2002, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: CheaperSleeper ]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks for the info guys. THe shoes and the cd's add an extra 25Whp
There is nothing like it it really give high end torque
THose shoes are on new Michelin rubber

1 - 13 of 13 Posts