Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question for everyone. I want to kno what is better intake wise. Would getting an AEM short ram intake be better than an AEM cold air intake? I am looking to purchase intake and i dont kno which to buy.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
are u going to do a larger maf in the future?...if u r going to, don't buy aem... to save some cash i suggest the colant...but outta those two choices...cold air

edit: half asleep...

[ 10-12-2002, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: KicknZX3 ]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get the cold air? Aight, b/c i thought that with the short ram being, well, shorter, that it would make the engine work less to get the air, therefore more power, but on the other hand, cold air would be better for the engine. Does neone have SHORT RAM to tell me the hp increase or nething?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
i had the shortram on my car and liked it very much...also put down quite good numbers buddied with the FC TB... only thing i didn't like was the small piping and the warm air being pulled in during the summer...otherwise its a good product...not my top 3 in choices though

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have both, CAI for the summer and short in the winter. My first season with the short and I hate it. Although low end power is nice it's horribly slow in high end and once in awhile you get a lag because of the hot temps under the hood. The CAI is all around great, the sound and high end power is awesome. Buy the CAI but look around for deals.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by MyBlackZX3:
Get the cold air? Aight, b/c i thought that with the short ram being, well, shorter, that it would make the engine work less to get the air, therefore more power, but on the other hand, cold air would be better for the engine. Does neone have SHORT RAM to tell me the hp increase or nething?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Most people have wacky reasoning like this. I'll just let it sit that most of you havent taken fluid mechanics or thermodynamics. But weeding through all the crap you read is tough too, AEM's CAI is the best one available for the focus right now. Besides an intake with a spinny thing (turbo
) in it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
i love my short ram. it sounds, looks great. it brings good #s in on the dyno with the fctb. and the best thing is when you show your friends (non car friends) whats under your hood, the big filter that is right there make them think your car is the coolest thing in the world.

·
Registered
734 Posts
you'll get more hp out of the cold air, it was also voted product of the year

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Personally, I recommend the "Plastic-Tubed" k&n FIPK, or the Volant intake, (Either one), with the SVT Snorkel for cold-Air...
They're both "Shorty"'s, but have more heat resistance, as well as great flow.

If you'd like to know more, PM me, or do a search in this Forum for "SVT Snorkel".
I have the k&n, but I'm impressed w/ the Volant as well. Neither one is as "Trendy" as the AEM.

[ 10-13-2002, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Cold Air!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by Hi-Risk:
Cold Air!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">W/ the SVT Snorkel, you can get quite a bit of cool air for $25. It's not going to be "COLD-Air" unless it's COLD Outside...

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Hi-Risk:
Cold Air!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">W/ the SVT Snorkel, you can get quite a bit of cool air for $25. It's not going to be "COLD-Air" unless it's COLD Outside...
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
169 Posts
VOLANT!!!!!!!!

....and there is a new add-on for the Volant comming soon that will enhance its cold air ability even more.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Personally, I recommend the "Plastic-Tubed" k&n FIPK, or the Volant intake, (Either one), with the SVT Snorkel for cold-Air...
They're both "Shorty"'s, but have more heat resistance, as well as great flow.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Once again I'll point to thermo and fluid mechanics. A smooth intake pipe with no bumps inside has no area to transfer heat to the incoming air. The color of the intake (given that they are smooth) would actually have more of an effect. Darker colors being worse and lighter colors being better. Its funny how little thinking goes into some of the intakes.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Hi-Risk:
Cold Air!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
ruggedman i see u stand by aem but being i have dealt with many intakes i would vote aem towards the bottom...also u talk about the thermo mechanics. well what about volant and iceman being a much larger dia in piping...the better sized tubing for a larger maf too...i have seen dyno's for several intakes. aem makes good gains but not enough to stand by it. have u done tests with intake charge on various intakes? or no...anywho i'm done

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by KicknZX3:
ruggedman i see u stand by aem but being i have dealt with many intakes i would vote aem towards the bottom...also u talk about the thermo mechanics. well what about volant and iceman being a much larger dia in piping...the better sized tubing for a larger maf too...i have seen dyno's for several intakes. aem makes good gains but not enough to stand by it. have u done tests with intake charge on various intakes? or no...anywho i'm done
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I like the AEM's design the best by far. I wouldnt mind seeing one like it with bigger piping, but then you need that $300 MAF
too. Staying with stock piping with the stock maf is the best idea, because switching piping sizes half way through creates turbulence, and slows down the general flow of air. An intake is only as good as it's smallest part, so you might as well make the whole thing the same size.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Ruggedman. It's funny that you bring up fluid mechanics in this discusion on the AEM cai. I'm sure it will flow alot of water when you hit a big puddle

[ 10-14-2002, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: BLOWNSTANG ]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts