Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Shortshifter avaible for the 2002 model?
They´ve chanced something! The old one doesen´t fits!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yea, they changed it mid-year like around May or June. I got mine in april so the old ones worked. I heard Steeda was making one for the new shifters so you may want to hit them up.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
What's the differences between early2002 and previous year models and the late 2002 model shifters?

·
Registered
397 Posts
the difference between the shifters is the pivot point, on the 2000, 2001, and early 2002 ones the pivot point for one of the cables is at the very bottom of the shifter, but on the late 2002 and 2003s the same cable connects to the shifter halfway up the shaft, which in turn shortens the shift while have the shaft the same lenght as the old one, i don't see why anyone who has a late 2002 or 2003 would even want a short shifter, the stock one shortens the throw good enough

·
Registered
826 Posts
We have one coming out in a few weeks.

[ 11-04-2002, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: nader6972 ]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
nader, get me a 2002 shift assembly, shifter and the works man

This 3rd gear MUST be solved man, its ****ing pissing me off

How do you expect me to run 13s in 2 weeks granny shiftin to 3rd

·
Registered
204 Posts
Or you could just cut it and save the bucks for something else!

You will need a hacksaw and a 12x1.25 Tap Die, zip-tie and possibly a metal file.

Unscrew the Shift Knob,
Unclip the Boot,
Clip the ziptie holding leather to reverse lock,
Remove the reverse lockout (unsnap some clips)
Than USING THE EXISTING THREAD as a GUIDE Tap the
shift rod to desired deapth.
Hacksaw off however much you want (start short and test the knob to fit, always easier to take off than put on!)
When you are satisfied with length re-ziptie leather to shift rod.
Screw back knob and tuck leather under it.

Reverse lockout is not reused again as the shorter rod does not support it. It is not
really required as you will not be able to engage the reverse at speed. (not likely anyhow).

Have fun and save a buck!

Milan

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
dont waste ur money, chop it...take a hacksaw some time, and a 4 dollar die 2 rethread the shaft. did mine loox factory (and i lost that stupid lockout). dont spend 150 bux on somethin u can do in less than an hr, btw many more of those aftermarket 1s have broken then so have the stock 1s.

-Ult

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
damn server double post!!!

save ur money 4 a real perf mod

my bud bacon reminded me 2 add that u dont cut it as far as a 00/01, but it can b cut, some, however the throws seem 2 b shorter than anythin present b4.

-Ult

[ 11-04-2002, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
526 Posts
Originally posted by moolan:
Or you could just cut it and save the bucks for something else!

You will need a hacksaw and a 12x1.25 Tap Die, zip-tie and possibly a metal file.

Unscrew the Shift Knob,
Unclip the Boot,
Clip the ziptie holding leather to reverse lock,
Remove the reverse lockout (unsnap some clips)
Than USING THE EXISTING THREAD as a GUIDE Tap the
shift rod to desired deapth.
Hacksaw off however much you want (start short and test the knob to fit, always easier to take off than put on!)
When you are satisfied with length re-ziptie leather to shift rod.
Screw back knob and tuck leather under it.

Reverse lockout is not reused again as the shorter rod does not support it. It is not
really required as you will not be able to engage the reverse at speed. (not likely anyhow).

Have fun and save a buck!

Milan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Very true that it works, BUT IT VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY.

Since it is a modified stock part, and not aftermarket, you CANNOT use the Magnuson-Moss act to defent any transmission failure. My warranty was just voided because of this. Do not cut your shifter if you want to keep your warranty.

I'll be looking for that shifter in a couple weeks, Nader.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Originally posted by FoFo:
where can I get the OBX?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">FoFo hit me up I have an obx if your looking to buy.

Drew

2003 Silver zx3

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have a 2002, mine was one of the very first built in that year (dec). So my shifter should be the same as the '01's? So youre saying I can use the same short shifter as the other people who have '01's and earlier?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Sorry bro cutting the stocker doesn’t do a damm thing. Short shifters are made for a reason, lower pivot joints. This is my steeda short shifter, look how much lower the cable hook up is. Cutting the stocker will only give you the look but not making it a true short shifter. Your going to be moving the shifter just as far if it was cut or stock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts