Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running a JBA shorty and random tech cat. What advanatages would i get from running a race header.

·
Registered
970 Posts
from what ive heard, you will get a better sound, a little more hp. and no cat.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I haven't run a shorty/hi-flo combo, but I did recently take my race headers off for warranty work. When I put them on the first time, I didn't notice much (other than the LOUD exhaust). However, once I had a chance to get used to the raceheaders and then was forced to drive without them... HUGE difference. They make unreal power high. It seemse like it takes me SO long to get through the gears now -- it sucks.

What I'm trying to say is, there's some REAL power to be made here, and if you can get used to the sound and smell (didn't take me long), the raceheader is the way to go.

·
Registered
384 Posts
the race header makes so much more power than a shorty header/high flow combo. It has a much better overall gain from the bottom to the top. I will admit, going with a race header is loud, but well worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So how much more power would a race header give me 2-3 hp over my current setup?

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
Originally posted by GospeedracerGo:
So how much more power would a race header give me 2-3 hp over my current setup?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">og just get a race header, btw i have a few FC ones

·
Registered
400 Posts
getting rid of the cat, and having a good header will yield you gains across the powerband like this:

That's actally an SVT header on my ZX3, no other mods. I'm looking to trade for a shorty header due to changing classes in autox, if you're interested, let me know...

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
yo fisch, what WOULD that torque curve (which looks huge on low rpm, me like)look like with a high-flow/shorty?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Originally posted by blueovalbaboon:
yo fisch, what WOULD that torque curve (which looks huge on low rpm, me like)look like with a high-flow/shorty?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">similar shape, but far lower numbers, you have to remember, exhasut gasses are leaving the head and slamming together into a cat after a few short inches on a shorty header, that's a big no-no for power. I would assume a loss of close to 10 lb-ft between the svt and shorty.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Besides the Random Technologies, what other high flow cats are available for the Zetec ?? Does anyone have any recommendations ??

I have been thinking of modifying the JBA header for the Focus and the Random Tech cat for the Focus to fit a ZX2 S/R ?? Catco also has other generic high flow cats available.

I have a new JBA header for the ZX2 still in the box, but I don't think that would be good for the Focus. Would you be interested in a JBA Focus header in trade for the SVT header ??

Thanks...

[ 01-22-2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: JohnsZX2SR ]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Does anyone have a stock Focus exhaust manifold and catalytic converter they would be interestd in seeling ?? Send me eMail if you ahve something to sell with price including shipping to CT, 06066.

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Originally posted by Fisch:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by blueovalbaboon:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">similar shape, but far lower numbers, you have to remember, exhasut gasses are leaving the head and slamming together into a cat after a few short inches on a shorty header, that's a big no-no for power. I would assume a loss of close to 10 lb-ft between the svt and shorty.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm skeptical of that number. The Random Tech was dyno tested a while ago by someone with basic mods and he got 7.9 hp and 8.2 lb-ft. of torque. The FocusSport street header should add a few to that. That makes it not so far off from the posted dyno. Sure, it won't quite be the same, but it's worth it to me to take the responsible route and have the cat in place (and a quieter exhaust).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts