Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think this is a good combo for a daily driver? I would love more torque, but I don't want the noise a race header or off road pipe would bring. It's also a pretty cheap way to go, so that is appealing as well. Does anyone have this setup? thanks everyone-Andy

·
Registered
255 Posts
i'm looking to invest in a flex pipe sometime within weeks. much like you, i didn't want the high volume noise of the race header. i'd say go for it being that its a daily driver. mine's a daily driver but it doesn't have to be a slow daily driver

also, i may just get a downpipe for good ol' track times. good luck in your modding endeavours.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
ya, I have the pacesetter short header with flex pipe. Both my wife and I have the magnaflow cat-back and our cars sound almost identical (quiet) and she still has the stock exhaust manifold. The shortie will give you more back pressure thereby providing more low end torque. I'm thinking of replacing my shortie header with a race header because I'm running a JRSC and want it to breath a little better.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys-I'd love to have the extra power from a race header, but my Focussport exhaust has such a nice deep growl to it, i'd hate to ruin it-i have heard the race header. Jimel-thats not a bad idea-an offroad pipe for the autocross next summer. Let us know how it goes for you-i'm not quite ready financially to get the parts yet. dan-d-what difference did you notice when you put both on? Thanks again!

·
Registered
362 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by focus130:
thanks guys-I'd love to have the extra power from a race header, but my Focussport exhaust has such a nice deep growl to it, i'd hate to ruin it-i have heard the race header. Jimel-thats not a bad idea-an offroad pipe for the autocross next summer. Let us know how it goes for you-i'm not quite ready financially to get the parts yet. dan-d-what difference did you notice when you put both on? Thanks again!<hr></blockquote>

I'll sell you my JBA header and off road pipe...CHEAP

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
i hope u all r not confusing flex pipes w/off road pipes. b/c thats what is used in combination w/a shorty over ur cat and along w/shorty+high-flow cat or a race header, is the other combo u can use. if ur talkin bout maximizing ur exhaust while keepin ur stock cat in place, then yes, bookend the cat w/2 better pieces in the header and flexpipe 2 supplement ur catback.

back pressure is an old hot rodders tale. its exhaust velocity u want 2 maximize 4 a most efficient system. gas, like fluid dynamics, work the same and thus this whole 'back pressure' thing is incorrect, any inhibitor 2 flow is inefficient, the closer u r 2 laminar flow over turbulent flow, the better u r. but runnin a pipe thats 2 big 4 the system, which results in a loss in velocity (or pressure/volume like in a fluid system as in sprinkler systems 4 example) is also bad. just fyi.

y u doin that papa? doesnt make sense? price on JBA?

-Ult

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]</p>

·
Registered
138 Posts
shortys are a waste of money, get a fc race header and flex pipe

·
Registered
793 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by donszx3:
shortys are a waste of money, get a fc race header and flex pipe<hr></blockquote>

OK then, and do what with the Emissions inspection? Change it back for it? Not worth the effort involved.

I don't think it's a waste of money (obviously, as I have one), however the gains are nominal in comparison to a Race Header. It all depends on what any one person wants from there car. I like a combo of show and go, and the shorty fits that desire.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hey Andy I've got a FS flex pipe rattlin around in my hatch

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ult...have already gotten inquiries on the header. Not sure of a price yet. Prolly doing a preemptive dumping of the focus for a Civic Si. My wife has a civic, and it is a wonderful car. No Problems what so ever

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
civic SI, i'm sorry papa, but thats an ugly, overpriced, wrong-demographic (hint hint), pig of a car. smoked 1 of those at the track couple wks back...he asked if i had 'nawz' lol.

-Ult

·
Registered
362 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
civic SI, i'm sorry papa, but thats an ugly, overpriced, wrong-demographic (hint hint), pig of a car. smoked 1 of those at the track couple wks back...he asked if i had 'nawz' lol.

-Ult
<hr></blockquote>

You said NNAAAAWWWWSSSS

But seriously...they are a bit uglier than the Focus, but still better looking than my 72 Maverick
I can feel my car starting to have troubles (either fuel pump or a host of other probs). Honda reliability...can't beat it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts