Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my automatic died on me the other day with 46,000 miles on my stock car. Right now my debate is weather it is best to just put another auto back in the car and live with it for a little wile (and then sell the car) or should I put a manual into the car.

I did not want the dam auto to begin with, but I bought my car at the end of the model year, and well that’s what I wound up with.

Now I read the auto to manual sticky at the top of this forum. I though I remembered reading a wile ago that someone did in fact complete the swap.

I am somewhat worried that if a put another auto in this car, the same thing may happen again from my driving style. The highways here do NOT have entrance ramps; you have to literally do a 0-80mph run every day to get on the highway without getting rear ended. I’m guessing the auto focus tranneys don’t like that kind of use.

Do you think that another auto will hold up better, or is this something to be concerned with? This also worries me about modding the car. If the car can’t hold up in stock form, then I don’t even want to know how fast the auto will die if the motor is modified.

If I sell the car, I will not find an exact match focus in manual, I have a mach focus now. The current (new) focus does not interest me at all, and is NOT something I would buy. I drive quite a bit; the mach focus I bought at the end of 02 when it was on clearance for the 03s, so the car is a little under 3 years old with basically 50,000 miles on it.

Ug I don’t know what to do…

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Not to jinx myself but I pretty much beat the crap out of my Auto every time I drive for 20K miles now with no indications of it going. (what a scary thought) I say you find out how much a rebuild would be for your car through a VERY reputable trans shop and buy the overhaul kit from Lentech for $450-500. Then again I don't like the idea of rebuilds so I'd probably just buy the Street Cruiser from Lentech and pop that bad boy in their. Basically what I'm trying to say is I would somewhat upgrade for the future if you have the money.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I say do the swap. I know the roads on which you drive (I went to school in CT) and it should be a crime to drive those roads with an autotragic.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have also been pretty lucky with mine. I have about 55,000 miles and still running stong. I make sure that I keep up on the tranny flushes though. I also have a late 03 model and I think that rermeber reading somewhere that they were upgraded a little, but I donn't know

·
Registered
803 Posts
Isn't the base Lentech good for up to 180 whp? With a lifetime warranty? I'd say that should do just fine. You could even go with mild boost and that tranny would still be within it's tolerances...

·
Registered
859 Posts
To go manual, you will need a complete MTX Focus:
Transaxle, L+R axles, all three motor mounts, clutch pedal assembly, brake fluid reservoir, ECU/PCM, complete engine wiring harness, and all of the little hardware that goes with the swap. There is probably more that is incompatible between the two.
The swap is not worth the money and labor. Just trade for a manual tranmission car or rebuild the 4F27E with better internals and valve body. The rebuild kit and valve body together are $900+ labor= practical plan.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
RP... did you get my PM?

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RP... did you get my PM?
yes i did get it... (thank you)

As for costs, do not include labor. I am learning auto mechanics little by little, and the people I work with are capable of power train swaps, and willing to help me. Now I don’t want to put them through hell, so if just replacing the auto is the same price as doing the manual swap (in parts) ill do that I guess, If its significantly cheaper to do a manual swap I may go that route.

I just don’t want to get stuck with the same problem again in another 45,000 miles, which is another 2.5 years at the rate I drive, and I don’t have any intention of buying a “regular” focus, or buying a new one. If my car just worked I think I would be happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts