Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I had a 2002 Focus SVT, sold it to buy some property, well things are looking up and I can afford another Focus SVT again. I am looking at a 5 door (thinking about kids down the road) Silver with Red interior, HID, Audio, Moonroof, Winter package. I am not crazy about the winter package but I am not going to race this car, so it shouldn't matter too much. Anyway, I am looking at paying invoice and then getting 0% for 72 Months, this worked out better than taking the $2000 rebate. I am aware of the little manifold problem and so on and so forth, but the car is great all around.

What do you think? Should I get it?

·
Registered
883 Posts
In my opinion, no. I don't think there should have ever been a 5 door SVT. Fast cars aren't made for families so if you're not going to race it I'd suggest getting the 5 speed ZX5. Doesn't look like you're on a tight budget but you'll save on gas prices and you can practically get all the same options for less money. If you're going to be lugging a family around you won't need the improved suspension and horsepower.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I say go for it!

I used to think the same way as SilverBulletZTS on this issue, but now I feel like the SVTF5 is a very good solution when you've got kids to toss in the backseat.

And let's face it, as far as this being a "fast" car, it's far more of an 'economy' car. SVT's purpose was to build enjoyable cars with heightened performance, not necessarily to build flat out street machines. All aspects are improved, and to that I say that if you need the practicallity of a ZX5, but want something that'll get up and run when you want it to, go for the SVTF5.

Besides 0% for 72 months is a sweet deal.

·
Registered
751 Posts
In my opinion, no. I don't think there should have ever been a 5 door SVT. Fast cars aren't made for families so if you're not going to race it I'd suggest getting the 5 speed ZX5. Doesn't look like you're on a tight budget but you'll save on gas prices and you can practically get all the same options for less money. If you're going to be lugging a family around you won't need the improved suspension and horsepower.
Come on - what kind of thinking is that? If you have a family, or if you have friends and you want them to be able to get into the back seat without going through contortions, you should only be able to buy a 4-cylinder Camry or something? I guess there should be no M5, then, since there is no such thing as a 2-door 5-series BMW? Should all Audis be slow, since except for the TT, they are all 4-door too?

As a matter of fact, they say that around 30% of all S4 and S6 Audis sold (the high-perf. ones) are the Avant (station wagon) model. BMW heard that, and now the new, 500 hp V10 M5s are going to be available as station wagons. If Ford offered a Focus SVT wagon, I would have seriously considered it.

As a lover of high-performance cars, I want them available in more flavors, not fewer.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
In my opinion, no. I don't think there should have ever been a 5 door SVT. Fast cars aren't made for families...
I can't wait to see you rollin around in a mini-van. It's going to happen with your way of thinking (until you have kids).

Tell3131, I say go for it. If you're not planning on racing then the 5-door is the perfect car. I've condidered getting a MS Protege because it's got the extra room but yet still sports the fun and functionality of a sport compact.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Tell3131,
I would say go for the SVTF ZX5 as it would be a good choice for someone looking to start or already has a family and needs the extra doors.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Both my foci are 5door. I personally like a shorter door AND want the door pillar next to me in the event of a fubar.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes.
I have kids, my previous daily driver was a CSVT, also a 4 door. The reason i waited for the ZX5/SVT was that i absolutely need the xtra 2 doors. In addition,

I think it's usefullness extends beyond kids. My bro just picked up a red zx5/svt as well. He doesn't have kids but he has 2 big labs. Being able to let them in without messing with the front seat is a plus. And yeah we like to drive.

Also, i think they look better LOL.
DD

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the input. I am still trying to decide. I am definately getting a Focus SVT, although now I am looking at used 2002 Focus SVT. Since they only come in 3 door I have to decide if I want to fork over the money for 5 doors or save some money on a 3 door. I really like the 5 doors, but it is going to be 4 years before I have kids (at least that is the plan) and I would possibly sell the 3 door by then if I got it.

Anyway, what would you do? Get a new 5 door or save about 6-7 grand and get a used 02 with all options and around 16,000 miles on it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Figure the '03 is what, $20K? You could get the 72 month 0% at $275ish/month. Plus, full warranty.

The '02 is probably around $14K. Current financing on used vehicles is around 5%. You could finance the '02 for $275/month for 57 months. Hopefully the '02 is Ford Certified Pre-owned?

If these numbers are close, I do not know if they are or not, I would go with the new '03 for the extra $4,125 ($275 x extra 15 months). You would have a new car, 5-doors which you will need eventually, full warranty, and know the history of the car. Performance cars tend to be driven hard and can be slightly riskier on the secondary market. Plus, at 0% financing, you would not be paying any interest. Free money in a way. After 6 years the car would probably have a value of $4,000 and be paid off. Basically the extra amount you paid to begin with could be recovered.

Of course, with the used '02, your principal amount financed would be less ($14K vs. $20K...less debt) and the payoff would be less in the event you wanted to pay it off early. The payoff on the '02 after 48 months (when you would be looking to sell the 3-door) would be about $2,500. The car would be 5 years old and have maybe a value of $4,500 so you could recover $2,000.

The numbers are pretty close. It's a hard choice. It just depends on what works best for your situation.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, I was thinking the same way. Will have to see, I might wait till after Sept 30 and see what new rebates/incentives Ford comes out with to clear them off the lots. I would like $2500 plus 0% for 60. Now that would be awesome!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would like $2500 plus 0% for 60. Now that would be awesome!
That would be great! I am toying with the idea of trading my ZX5 for a leftover '03 Crown Victoria LX Sport. If Ford would do something like $1,000 rebate and 0% for 60 months it would make the decision that much easier. We'll see what happens October 1st, I guess. Incentive info is a highly guarded secret so most dealers either don't know yet or won't say a word. They wouldn't want to skew those month and quarter end sales

·
Registered
751 Posts
That would be great! I am toying with the idea of trading my ZX5 for a leftover '03 Crown Victoria LX Sport. If Ford would do something like $1,000 rebate and 0% for 60 months it would make the decision that much easier. We'll see what happens October 1st, I guess. Incentive info is a highly guarded secret so most dealers either don't know yet or won't say a word. They wouldn't want to skew those month and quarter end sales
Now that is a stretch - you must hate the Focus, if you're considering buying an '03 CV. There is as much chance of me going trading my car for a Crown Victoria as for a Peterbilt. Nothing exactly wrong with it, but...how did you get the Focus to begin with - win it in a sweepstakes?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Now that is a stretch - you must hate the Focus, if you're considering buying an '03 CV. There is as much chance of me going trading my car for a Crown Victoria as for a Peterbilt. Nothing exactly wrong with it, but...how did you get the Focus to begin with - win it in a sweepstakes?
I wouldn't necessarily say I hate my Focus. I would like something bigger and more comfortable. The Focus overall has been a decent car the past 15 months or so (I bought it new), but I wouldn't mind a nice RWD V8 sedan to spend my 2 hours per day commuting in. With incentives the way they are right now, it certainly is the time to think about upgrading.

I looked at the Dodge Intrepid SXT and wasn't very impressed. The Mercury Marauder is more than I want to spend. I also looked at the VW Passat and they are way overpriced for what you get. Didn't at all like the comfort of the '04 Grand Prix. May also look at the Pontiac Bonneville, but do not expect it to have the roominess of the Crown Vic. The Crown Vic looks really sharp in black with the Sport package, so I wouldn't feel old driving it even though I am nowhere near the typical age group of owners.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Man, it's almost scary, with all this talk of 5-doors and kids. I'm gettin' married next year. I don't wanna give up my ride!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man, it's almost scary, with all this talk of 5-doors and kids. I'm gettin' married next year. I don't wanna give up my ride!!!
I can see you making a case for the FSVT, but the lightning is a different story! Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts