Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7,280 Posts
Why not? Even though they are very different (weight, handling, power), the ST is a very nice car in many ways. OR... take a gamble and wait for the RS and try to get your hands on that screamer.

BTW, where's funky town?

· Registered
1,701 Posts
Maybe have a look at a Fiesta ST as well. More in line with the ZX3 size wise.

· Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont know where funky town was.... always been chicago area now it is near west side of chicago

i did move on from the zx3... to a subaru legacy gt 285hp 306tq with a basic tune. the legacy is now 10y old and 160k hard miles on chicago streets and needs some down time and some tlc. the st would be the 'other car' and maybe her mode of transportation. with my wife taking on school about an hour away and clinicals we almost need to move to a 2 car family. 28k for a focus is a bit nuts but its the most 'interesting,' economical and practical option i can see. im also looking at the fiesta but reviews mention a cheep feel on the interior plus its just plain small.

make an rs wagon and i will be pretty excited

· Registered
5,331 Posts
Outside dimensions wise, the Fiesta is much closer in size to the MK1 ZX3/5 than the the MK3 Focus. The design of the Fiesta in general though makes it feel cramped. To be honest, I didn't feel any less cramped sitting in a MK3 Focus.

· Registered
7,280 Posts
RS wagon, WOW! A car for "the family man" of the '60s. If anybody sanctioned that, it would be an even wickeder wagon than the Chevy Nomad with 409.

· Registered
1,701 Posts
RS wagon, WOW! A car for "the family man" of the '60s. If anybody sanctioned that, it would be an even wickeder wagon than the Chevy Nomad with 409.
Exactly. That would be something I would be instinctually forced to purchase...

· Registered
1,701 Posts
I will never understand the wagon fad. lol
I will never understand the no wagons available fad.

Sorry there's 4: Audi, BMW, Volkswagen, Mercedes.

Plenty of jacked up fat wagons though.

· Registered
1,701 Posts
I guess variety is the spice of life. lol Curious though, what do you guys like about the wagons? All I see is extra dead weight on the wrong end of the car which is why I'm curious. My mind doesn't grasp it.
Looks, utility and generally drive like a car not an SUV. Better fuel economy than an SUV. Better family car, better road trip car than a sedan, coupe, or hatchback.

Points against, heavier, slower than the other body styles.

Sent via poles, wires and telegraph 2.

· Registered
7,280 Posts
In 1989 I had a 2 year old son and a daughter on the way, and didn't want any of the crappy choices for SUV or van that were available (never have), so I looked around and found a 15 year old Vista Cruiser (base 350). That was a great road-trip car, outdoor movie car, pile-a-bunch-of-people-in car... just not a very good economy car. If there had been a choice of car with room, power, and reasonable economy that drove like a car, not like a truck, I would have bought one new.

Still, if there was a new, well powered, good handling wagon for sale I'd be more than a little tempted to ditch our Subaru Forester and start making payments. The jest about an RS wagon is enough to turn my head toward those thoughts. Just because it wouldn't be a great track car, doesn't mean it wouldn't be way cool.

· Registered
5,331 Posts
Cool is subjective. lol I can understand that then. With no kids and no plans on having kids (if I do, there's a major medical error), I just want performance. I really really hope they make a lightweight Fiesta RS so we can truly have a hot hatch performance car.

· Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i took a used 15 st for a spin. it was fun, a bit stiff on the suspension and the clutch felt week as could be, also did not feel smooth through out the travel, ust have some sort spring assist and cam action... just not what im used to. i was telling my girl about it and she actually sounded interested. ill have to take her down and see what she thinks. if i was 18 again id be all over this car, but if i was 18 again i probably couldnt afford it. one salesman at on dlr said the rs would be about 40k and the other salesman at the other dealer said about 35k which is what i expected. i found a lightly moded forester xt for 8k less which would be more practical.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.