Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i need your help.. not to fimilar with AC, but i was wondering if this was a good deal.

</u> FOR SALE

Aerocharger STG 1 turbo kit

with:
Turbo(of course), BOV, 30 lb injectors, all piping, clamps, connectors, turbo XS Boost controller, SCT chip, vacuum hoses, Autometer carbonfiber with silver bezel boost gauge.

Everything you need to bolt it on and drive boosted.

ASKING 1000 plus shipping....O.B.O.

Its internally wastegated , but if you want, I have a tial 38mm external WG for 75 bucks more....(its a 200 dollar wastegate)

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4164/sv3009466nl.jpg

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/7021/sv3009479hi.jpg

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone hear good/bad things with this system..? i was just thinking of getting a nitrous kit, but i like the benefit of always being able to have the power there.. can anyone give me advice? thank alot.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i think it's a good deal, but aerocharger went out of business, so if anything happened to it, you're most likely have a very hard time finding parts for it

but you could be lucky and never encounter any probs

Laz

·
Registered
891 Posts
there's people out there that took up the maintenance for the turbo on that kit. you can just search this forum and find the contact info.

this turbo has the most amazing spool time i've seen. the problem with the ac (unlike the ac3) is that it is non-intercooled and you'll be running at 6-7psi tops - that i'm sure also depends on what kinda weather you're dealing with year round.

and for all of what that guy is giving you, 1k is actually not bad. i'd take that tial wg - 75 bucks is a steal.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, i figured i wouldnt be ripped off, i just didnt know too much about the brand. if it comes tuned what else would i need before i was ready to go?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Since there's not much info out there on the Aerocharger kit, and their site is down...

www.waybackmachine.com to the rescue: Believe it or not but some of the pics still work Click on "various installation pictures."

Anyway...Aerocharger 101 (mostly for stage 1/2 but also applies to stage 3 for the most part):

1) The turbo is located in-between the engine and the firewall. It only goes up in there one way. Make sure instructions are included. The only modification to make the turbo fit is the water lines going to the heater core must be shortened and insulated with silver reflective lining. In addition, make sure that the shifter cables aren't going to be hit by any of the new turbo hardware because it may knock the shifter cables off their mounts. This may require some slight bending of the shifter cable mounting brackets.

2) The kit retains the use of the stock cat. The only part in the exhaust that is removed is the flex pipe. The kit comes with a shortened flex pipe that goes after the turbo and an adaptor that connects the turbo onto the end of the stock cat pipe. The most crytical part of installation is the location of the turbo since there's so much slop in the factory exhaust. You will get some bumping and/or rubbing of something at initial install and will have to shift things around until nothing is hitting.

3) The turbo itself is kind of neat. At the time their claim was "The world's only variable-geometry, self-contained, ball bearing turbocharger." Its air cooled with ceramic bearings that get their lubrication from a small oil wicking resivior that you re-fill every 20k miles. (Search "aerocharger oil" in this forum for my posts on the oil that can be used. Without searching, I think its a Mobil SHC 630. $13/quart at Grainger.)

4) Boost is controlled by varying the geometry of the turbine vanes. There are two different types of vane actuators and the way you modify the stock boost depends on which type you have. There's a "How are you controlling boost" thread somewhere in here that has most of the details.

5) The turbo has been known to "boost creep." Why? I don't know. Perhaps the variable vanes stick. Regardless, some of us have decided to add an external wastegate. The best place/way to add an external wastegate is to remove the factory cat, add an Off Road Pipe, and put the wastegate there. I run a TiAl 38mm myself set at around 10psi on my AC3.

6) Tuning? That's a whole nother story. All I can say is that a stock MAF meter, 30# injectors, and a properly tuned SCT chip should get the job done at around 6-7psi. But it obviously would have to be verified or preferrably done on a dyno.

That's all I have time for...hope that helps.

I'm sure there's some things I'm forgetting. But regardless, I say go for it. The feeling of 6 or 7 psi will blow away all the bolt-ons you could ever imagine. And for the cost, it would be hard to pass up.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Its a killer dael too;)

Its alot of fun and not too hard to install, uninstall. We got it down to a complete install from a stock setup in 2 1/2 hours. Its really pretty straight forward, and yes, it does have installation instructions(you just dont have to worry about the intercooler piping section).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, that helped a bunch. i wont have any problem uninstalling it with the shorter wires right? mid, pm me when you get a chance

·
Registered
972 Posts
I've got a stage 3 kit (intercooler) and Toms Chip for JFA8 42lb injectors 70mm MAF and a FS race header for 1300.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Halo - "Cookies and Ass"???

How did your set up work? What kind of output numbers (or boost) did you run day to day, and on what fuel grade? Are you going to a bigger system?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yeah... =D

I didn't get to dyno it. and that wasnt my engine code. The kit ran awesome on my car for about 100miles worth of driving. I had to save money to get it tuned. Till one night I was taking it to a friends and warped the head. SO now I'm out money on the new engine. Selling the car and the Kit and buying a SRT4. Because my focus is falling apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts