Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i bring it up? I still gotta see this guy until october when i move. Just say hey i need the car? plus the car had a leaky hose and \he went a replaced the water pump, it wasnt needed but should i pay him for that or count it as payment for driving my car for a few weeks?

adam

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Originally posted by YELSLOWFOCUS:
how do i bring it up?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How about, "Yeah, you bought my car, and didn't pay for it." That would be a good start.

If you want to be a nice guy, reimburse him for the parts he fixed. So far that's all he's bought, and he's just mooching a free car.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thats a tough one. If your good friends, you may wanna tell him that your giving him one last chance before you yank the car from him, if he doesn't give you a penny after you warn him, take the car back, no questions asked. Be straight up with him, let him know that your hard up for cash. Since he's your neighbor its not a good idea just to repo the car, best to work it out eye to eye and have something set in writing.

·
Registered
480 Posts
how do i bring it up? I still gotta see this guy until october when i move. Just say hey i need the car? plus the car had a leaky hose and \he went a replaced the water pump, it wasnt needed but should i pay him for that or count it as payment for driving my car for a few weeks?

adam
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Whyare you asking this, GET YOUR CAR. Don't even thank the deadbeat for the work he did. Tell him he is lucky you dont hurt him. The longer he keeps it the harder it will be to get back.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

adam
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Definetely, just be up front and say due to not meeting the terms of our contract (verbal, I'm assuming) I'm taking back the car and seeking other alternatives to meet my goal of selling it. If the car is still in your name, which I'm assuming it is, since you're still paying the insurance on it, and he puts up a fight, then get the police involved. It doesn't matter what his situation is, that's not your fault, he didn't meet the terms, and hasn't done anything to make new terms. Just don't get into a fight, remain cool and just stick to getting the car back.

Good luck.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thanks yall for the quick response. that is what i am going to do i told him he has to the 15th for 1000 then i will take it back.

adam

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Good idea.

If he tries to make up excuses and stuff, just remind him that you have bills to pay too, and his excuses are going to damage you financially.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Exactly right. And good job in giving him the ultimatum, it is the most effective tool.

Andrew

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would have him sign a paper that has the details of this payment... That way if you end up having to go to court over it, you have a piece of paper that he signed saying he would pay that amount by that date... You know what i'm saying? He could always say he misunderstood you when you told him that and pull all sorts of bs on you if you don't get it in writing.... make sure he is sober when he signs it too!

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Well, I firmly believe in NOT doing favors unless you can afford to lose everything you've given! If it were me, and I were in your shoes, knowing what you know about the difficult time he is having. I would work with him.

The fact is, if not having the money is TRULY going to effect your future, then you do need to take care of yourself! But I would personally tell him to just pay when he can. When a man is trying to support a family and everything is going wrong, it's tough. I don't know really, it's a tough call. But if it were me, I'd see if there is a way I can live without the money, and just work with him to get it someday!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey I need some advice, I sold my other car (1992 mustang lx) to a neighbor for 2000 dollars. This money was to help me get another vehicle and a bike. He was supposed to pay me 250 a week until it was paid off. I have yet to see a penny. He says the bank has been holding his check and so on. This is my dilemna his wife is sick and i dont know if they just dont have the money or if he is not working anymore. (i always see him home) what do i do i need the money. I Have other offers on my car but wanted to help him out cause there other car is not dependable. And he has a wife and two kids. But one thing is that they always go out to eat. and i kinda feel if they can do that they can pay me Am i being harsh? I told him that he needs to pay me 1000 dollars on the 15th to catch up, and i am still paying insurance on it. If i do repo it how do it do it or bring it up, he is my neighbor. thanks and sorry for the long post

adam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts