Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a cat back off my friend but the muffler is bent up so I was wondering if the focus sounds good with a straight-pipe or should i buy another muffler?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Welllll....
I'd at LEAST Recommend a Resonator of SOME sort.
The Performance gains of a Straight pipe on a motor w/ no Serious Internal Mods is VERY Minimal, and your Neighbors and passengers will be Much Happier if you keep SOMETHING in the system.
Do you have a High-Flow Cat or a Race-Header?
If not, the gains from having a Straight pipe will Literally be Non-Existant.
JUST Annoying Noise.
For a Street Car trying to avoid pointing and Laughing, or possibly the cops, I'd Recommend against it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
if ur cat back has a resonator on it, the straight pipe will sound sick. with a header tho, a little more rasp to it. what cat-back is it? i got a steeda with no muffler and it sounds good.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i say get a highflow cat the sound from a straight pipe is enough to make u go nuts

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Guys, he says his Muffler's bent.
He's talking STRAIGHT PIPE (ie. NO Catback, but a pipe), not "Off-Road pipe" (ie. Cat-removal pipe).

·
Registered
970 Posts
that wouldnt work very well would it. Wouldnt sound good either. Doesnt a mufflewr create back pressure in a cat back system, w/o it it wouldnt run properly correct? if im wrong feel free to correct me, wouldnt be the first wont be the last.

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Running straight pipe is bad, mmkay!
When I put my race header on, I had it mated to a stock exhaust with the rear resonator removed, that was loud. One of the hangers just in front of the remaining stock resonator broke, and the flexing of the exhaust seperated the pipe at the front of the stock resonator. This all happened on a weekend, and I drove around until I found an exhaust shop that would help me. All they did was weld a piece of pipe to where the stock resonator used to be, and I was on my way. That happened on Saturday, Monday I dropped my car back off at the same exhaust shop, and had him make me a full 2 1/4" exhaust.
The race header coupled with 1 7/8" pipe all the way back was obscenely loud, to the point where I wouldn't even drive my car. Even after he added the muffler, and the 2 1/4" exhaust, it was still pretty loud, so I added a resonator. Now it's somewhat bearable, I don't mind the sound, but I do get looks all the time.

Hope this helps.
Latre, Al

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok this is how my exhaust is... I do have a resignator. But The muffler on the exhaust I have is all bent up so I'm trying to decide whether to straight pipe it or spend the money on another muffler. Also I am planning to add 4-2-1 headers in the near future which will also cancel out my CAT.

·
Registered
659 Posts
heres a clue this is not a 1.6 litre this a 2.0 litre meaning it pushes alot more air and is alot louder then your ricer hondas. If you want it loud put that 4-2-1 header on there with a magnaflo now thats loud. Your going to get pulled over I promise If you run a straight pipe from that race header.

·
Registered
871 Posts
i agree.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
that wouldnt work very well would it. Wouldnt sound good either. Doesnt a mufflewr create back pressure in a cat back system, w/o it it wouldnt run properly correct? if im wrong feel free to correct me, wouldnt be the first wont be the last.
Well, the backpressure thing is a myth. What you are looking for is correct flow speed.
Do a Search on "Exhaust Scavenging", either here or elsewhere on the 'Net for more info.
Think about sucking a coke through a Skinny straw, a medium straw, and a FAT Straw for an example of some of the effects of Flow rate relative to Tubing size.
The "Need for BackPressure" is not exactly correct.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I believe theres a direct connection between exhaust decibles and IQ level!!
True for street cars, but NOT for Race cars.
Ever been to a REAL Race Track?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I believe theres a direct connection between exhaust decibles and IQ level!!
True for street cars, but NOT for Race cars.
Ever been to a REAL Race Track?
I assumed he was talking street car. As I would guess the majority here drive on the streets. I personally have raced on REAL tracks and have been doing so since my first race at Fontana in 1966 in my 57 Chevy. I race motorcycles too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts