Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have posted before, dissapointed in lack of low end torque and very unhappy with my loaded 03 5 door.

Anyway I was going to trade for an 03 10th aniversary Cobra but I am so upside down in my car I would need to cough up $7,000 (not including the massive difference in payment). But wait there is another choice.

Dealer has a demo 1,700 miles came in as one that was damaged at plant and had fender replaced. No engine damage just a fender looks great. I can get a super deal on this one. I offered $1,000 below dealer cost so that's about $3700 off. That plus the $2500 rebate till the 2nd takes me pretty damn close to the $7000 they wanted from me.

So lets bottom line it. Stay in focus SVT 5 door for 2.5 more years or get 03 demo 1700 miles driven by older guy my guess 43 years old.

What do you think? Need to know asap, I am working from home today and want to do this thing today if I am gonna do it.

Also anyone looking for a 4 door black with blue trim loaded + clifford alarm/remote start safe for manual tranny get in touch with me you can probalby get a sweet deal on mine from the dealer.

Dan

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hate to say this, but if I were in your situation and could afford the Cobra I would be saying goodbye to my SVT Focus, and hello to my new SVT Cobra. No question. In fact, I hope to trade my SVTF in for an '03 Cobra in about a year, when I won't be upside down on it. I sat in an '03 10th anniversary yesterday and - WOW!! That is one sweet car.

The lack of torque in the SVTF is also most of the reason I'm looking to trade. Plus, an SVT Focus just gets it's ass kicked by most new cars these days. My girlfriend owns a '96 red 'stang with oxidized paint, six cylinder and automatic - and when I drive that - I get more respect and looks than when I drive my practically new SVT Focus.

I love my little Focus, but if I could afford it, I would trade up to the Cobra today.

edit: Don't think that I would trade my Focus for some SRT-4 or WRX or something, just 'cause I'd trade it for a Cobra. I'd definitely have to keep it in the SVT family.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Dan you said that "you are disappointed in lack of low end torque" on your SVTF so if you feel the deal for the '03 Cobra demo is worth it see if you can close the deal.Just make sure to check with your insurance company beforehand because the Cobra might or will have a much higher monthly premium to pay over your current SVTF.Just my 2 cents.Anyway,good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If I didn't live in Maine or had a junker for winter...I'd be in the 03 Cobra..

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
New mustang coming out soon...hold out...drive fcous...

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Do it now and don't look back. The SVTF is a sweet car, but if you can get that kind of deal on a Cobra, you shouldn't have to think twice.

·
Registered
286 Posts
As Virtual Insanity pointed out, check with your insurance agent first!! The Cobra isurance cost will scare you pretty good. If that doesn't, the NJ winters will! If you can get by these two things, and don't mind the major depreciation when the new '05 hits, go for it.
~Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Should I trade for 03 Cobra w/ 1,500 miles -

Well I did it. First off - only good Insurance company in NJ NJM. Cobra won't cost a dime over SVT FOcus to insure - imagine that.

White demo turned out to have been titled once - no rebate no good.

Ended up blowing my wad on an 03 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe. It's black with the 10th anniversary charcoal/red leather seats.

www.nothingelseleft.com/cobra for pics when I get a chance to post them.

Thanks for the input guys.

FYI for 10th anniversary I got almost $1,500 off sticker and a $2500 rebate.

Dan

PICS are up now, link works 640x480 high quality pictures

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts

Congrats on your brand new 2003 Cobra Dan it looks sharp

I am glad that you checked the insurance rates and it will be the same as the SVTF you traded in.Enjoy

·
Registered
951 Posts

Nice work on a fairly rare car. ~400 made.

Take her easy for a bit and then realize all 390+hp.

·
Registered
263 Posts

That is sweet Dan. I'll bet it feels like a torque monster, coming from the SVTF.

·
Registered
392 Posts

Ohh man that's a sweet ride!! Enjoy.

·
Registered
128 Posts

I think you should consider keeping both. I had a 98 supercharged Roush and a 2001 Bullitt Mustang. I ended up with daily drivers because I couldn't drive the Mustangs all the time... it rains a lot here(Ok and because they became my babies too). I'm not as familiar with NJ weather, but around 400 to the wheels can be a bit much. You'd lose a lot in a "trade in" and 13-14k isn't bad for a SVT Focus as a second car. I don't know about your insurance, but USAA only charged me $60 for my 2nd car. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Awesome car, great deal! I'm jelious as #@$!!

But, I hafta ask. How can your insurance not cost more? The SVTF is ranked(insurance) like a 15 or 16, and the Cobra is like a 30, not to mention the value difference. Can you please give more details, cuz this makes no sense.

On a side note, if you really wanna make that bad boy glow, go to Zainobros.com, and get the Z-18 clay bar, the ZFX accelerator, the Z-2, and the Z-5. Be prepared to be amazed!
~Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

INSURANCE:
Amazed me too. NJM Insurance is the only good insurance company in NJ. I called them with VIN the week before I bought and they said the Symbol was much higher but the cost was virtually identical $1,600 for the year before 15-20% dividend at end of year.

I thought the $1,600 was high for the SVT Focus, My wife's 03 Mazda 6s is like $1,100 before dividend for the year.

Trust me it's only with NJM in NJ. When I had my 92 Vette they wanted maybe $800 before dividend for a year (this was 1999) next closest qoute was like $3,500.

NJM ROCKS!!! Tough to get into, but once in they don't even charge for a ticket or at fault accident.

Another comparison was 1995 I had my wife's Mazda MX3 just to tied me over till after wedding (1992 eclipse Gsx was dying) She had a 1993 Acura Integra GSR. We each had a ticket and were paying $480/month with State Farm.

Once we got married I was able to cover her cars with NJM. She wasn't in a qualifying organization and I couldn't insure cars in her name till we were married.

Came home from Maui, called NJM - switched it over and it dropped from $480/month to something like $1,800/year before 15-20% dividend.

I mentioned you have to work for a qualifying organization to get in, but once in you are in for life unless you get excesive tickets and they cancel your insurance.

Dan

·
Registered
83 Posts

congrats man now your first mod is and don't even start screwin around kenne bell blower and lay them all to rest

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RE: Insurance - got bill today. I was wrong. It is $1,600 for year on the Cobra before 15-20% dividend but the SVT Focus was around $1,300 before dividend. The Cobra Symbol is X, not sure what the Focus SVT was.

Just wanted to update on the insurance situation.

Dan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts