Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do u think of basing tolls on the weight of your car. The theory being the more your car weighs the more wear and tear you put on the pavement you drive on, and the more space your car is going take up on the highway.

Only exceptions I can think of are for cars that are actually hauling allot of cargo, or passengers.

Just a thought, what's everyone's opinion? point out both the + and -

·
Registered
729 Posts
i hate toll roads,,,if they are gunna charge someone to drive on thier roads, they should change it into more of an autobahn,,,,actually ya that would be a good idea...make toll roads like an autobahn, i bet that would bring in a lot of money,

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Nope. I dislike the idea. Too much in the area of those plans where you get taxed based on how many miles you drive. Plus, that would imply that toll roads would be built everywhere, and I don't want to have to pay to drive to school.

·
Registered
729 Posts
good point,,,i was just getting excited in the middle of it...didnt think to much on what i was sayin...but i still hate toll roads!!!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
there are no tolls in CT rpvitiello. do you want some?

i hate tolls. a lot. they cause traffic, time, and money.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
I definately think that trucks should pay a higher toll... absolutely!

If you've ever driven an interstate in a rural area... where its just two lanes in each direction... the right lane is noticably more screwed up than the left... why? Cuz the trucks majorly screw it up!

Trucks and the loads they carry are majorly responsible for road wear and tear... but they just carry on down the road like they own it.

And tolls don't have to cause traffic... if you move to the transponder method that we have here... you zip through @ 100mph no problem!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts

If you've ever driven an interstate in a rural area... where its just two lanes in each direction... the right lane is noticably more screwed up than the left... why? Cuz the trucks majorly screw it up!
*cough* pennsylvania *cough*

Trucks and the loads they carry are majorly responsible for road wear and tear... but they just carry on down the road like they own it.

And tolls don't have to cause traffic... if you move to the transponder method that we have here... you zip through @ 100mph no problem!
hmm....

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

well, do you mean trucks as in pickup trucks? or trucks as in semis? not sure how they do tolls in other places, but i've seen it done by axle, which wouldn't be bad.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
michigan is toll-free, but the chicago area isn't. as far as traffic goes, it can get a little congested during rush hour, but if everyone used those transponders, it would be no worse than anything else. tollways (minus the chicago skyway) seem to generally be in better condition than state roads too. something to think about though, since tollways are private-owned, how does snow removal work? (yes, the thoughts of a northerner)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
higher tolls for semis i agree with, cause they weigh and haul far more than the average vehicle does.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
They already do charge more for semis in some areas.

The Delaware Mem. Bridge charges 3.00 for cars, and for vehicles with more than 2 axles, its 3.00 per axle.
See thats my thing... I'm gonna say proportionally thats not right. I gotta think that someone has done studies to determine the extent of damage that Semis are doing to the road. I gotta know that a fully loaded truck with 1 trailer (3 axle) is doing more than 3x the damage than the average passenger car.

I would actually favor SUVs taking an increased toll as well... as their larger and typically knobbier tires do more damage as well.

I remember during the olympics in LA in 84... in order to curtail on traffic.. they restricted semis to the freeways from 9pm to 6am or something like that. You would not believe how much traffic improved!

And I know there are statistics out there that show most accidents in metropolitan area freeways are caused by semis and their mechanical breakdowns, tired drivers, or just plain poor driving.

I realize that Semis are a vital part of our economy... but sometimes I wonder if its worth it?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
There aren't any tolls around here, execpt on bridges. I favor keeping it that way. I did notice though while I was in Florida on vacation that the toll roads were in far better condition than the highways around here are. However, for the savings obtained from not having tolls i'll tolerate [censored] roads.

·
Internet = Serious Business
628 Posts
Why not just put a surcharge on the purchase and then increase registration over a certain weight. Tolls only are only charged on the highways, those damn SUVs/trucks tear up city roads too. I'd put the target weight at 4000lbs. Charge $2/lb over 4k, $.0075/lb up to 4k and $.05/lb over for reg. That way all trucks/suvs are taxed. So say a vehicle is 5000lbs. Add a surcharge of $2/lbs at purchase and $.05/lb/yr for reg. Total is $2000 surcharge and $80/yr for reg. Also add in MPG surcharges. Under 20mpg pays $500 and $50 yr after, over 20mpg to 30mpg pays $0, over 30mpg gets a $500/yr income deduction. I would make an exemption for all surcharges for businesses. Some people DO need a truck and they shouldn't pay. The dumb soccer mom who wants to haul her 2 kids around in an Excursion should.
Semis already pay a ton in taxes already so I don't know if they should be taxed more. It would just be passed on to us when we buy something hauled by a truck, which is pretty much everything. The solution to this is to have a better railroad infrastructure.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Why create such a complicated system? You'd have to either weigh each vehicle as it entered the toll road or maintain a list of all vehicle weights and have the toll taker properly identify each vehicle.

A gasoline tax basically taxes on the weight of the vehicle since heavier vehicles generally use more gasoline. And if you want to make semis pay more for the wear and tear they cause just up the diesel tax.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I like toll roads. Lot's of them have traffic, but it isn't anywhere near as bad as the non-toll roads around here. The amount of time and gas you save is worth the 75¢ you pay. The George Bush Turnpike is almost done out here near where I live, and it will be great because it will cut at least 10 minutes off of most of the trips I make. As for different fees, they (the North Texas Toll Authority) charge a higher fee for vehicles with trailers (semis). Toll roads are also much better built and maintained than state funded roads. As long as they don't charge an arm & a leg, I like toll roads.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts