Ford Focus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Mmmmmmmm, Colnago.......... :D

:D It's got some fantastic little cloverleaf details on the tubing that make it feel really special. It's getting re-sprayed soon the same colour as my new car (it's the same colour as my old car at the moment) and when I do that I'm going to put the Colnago badges back on, I think people should know that it's not just a run of the mill make :thumbup:.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
So what color will the Colnago be? My sons teacher (sixth grade) is an avid vintage Italian bike collector and rider which gave my son an instant in this year. :thumbup:

I didn't realize I hadn't posted the cleaned up version of my TdF yet, it still needs a complete tear down and thorough cleaning but it looks much better.

I love this bike,

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
So the Vitus is staying after all, I ended up giving it to my son for Christmas :D

Here it is as it looks now hanging from my new (for Christmas) bike repair stand :thumbup:

I'm picking up a new/used set of pedals for it Saturday.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Sweet!

What stand is that? I got a very similar one for christmas (park tool tripod work stand). Damn thing was a nightmare to assemble. I could have fully assembled a bike faster. Haha.

*Oh, and Steve, you're bike rebuilding/repairing skills seem to have jumped leaps and bounds since you started. That thing looks great. Kudos.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Sweet!

What stand is that? I got a very similar one for christmas (park tool tripod work stand). Damn thing was a nightmare to assemble. I could have fully assembled a bike faster. Haha.

*Oh, and Steve, you're bike rebuilding/repairing skills seem to have jumped leaps and bounds since you started. That thing looks great. Kudos.
It's basically this one but they changed the brand name and I can't remember exactly what it is.

ZERO assembly, just open the box and unfold it :D it's very solid and well built.

http://countycycles.com/product/ultimate-support-sport-mechanic-bicycle-repair-stand-33760-1.htm

Thanks for the kind words, I've learned a ton about working on bikes and I learn new stuff every time I build one.

I still have to get him a new front tube for the Vitus because I pinched the one that's in there when I put the tire back on after a spoke repair.

Those 700c tires SUCK to mount up, then again that was the first one I'd done so it'll just get easier over time.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Those 700c tires SUCK to mount up, then again that was the first one I'd done so it'll just get easier over time.
Most of the difficulty is tire/rim size (manufactured size that is, circumference. apparently 700c is +/- a few millimeters depending on the producer). Even the slightest increase in size can increase the difficulty exponentially. Some wheels are better about it, some are extremely bad.

With my Mavis Kysrium Equipes, I can change a tire and tube out in a minute easily.

With my Zipp 404's, you have to summon the wrath of God to get the tire onto the rim. It requires a hercules amount of strength, and theres not way to get around it besides using some other tire (every Michelin I've used has been a PITA to install on them). I've literally broken a whole bunch of cheap tire levers doing it (which you aren't even supposed to use/need to mount a tire). But yea, usually 20 mins later, two blistered hands/fingers, and one broken tire lever... the tire is on.

I rue the day I get a flat on the road using them (knocks on wood).

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Yeah, I have no issues with my 27s although the 1 1/8s can be a little tough depending on brand.

The rims on the Vitus are Campagnolo Omega and the tires are Continental 700x23, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I got stuck in the middle of nowhere a while ago trying to replace an inner tube with no tyre levers. Much sweating, swearing, some very sore thumbs and a bent door key later I was ready to roll. That's when I decided to get some puncture proof tyres. I got a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres which aren't light or nimble and they're an absolute bitch to get on but I've ridden over just about every sharp object possible and still no punctures, I wouldn't put any other tyres on now.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
I keep a very small pouch strapped under the seat of my bike (I hate the big saddle bags).

I keep in it: 1 tube (sometimes 2), 3 short tire levers, and a C02 cartridge and canister. I use the big C02 cartidges just because they have the volume to fill a MTB tire.

I don't mind changing a tire on the road if its a reasonable feat. Tire levers are a must though, for road bikes at least. I watched a friend of mine use some sticks, and eventually a piece from his bike (it may have been the tip of his saddle, the specialized toupe saddles have a hard metal piece on the front) to get it off.

He was cursing, and fingers were bleeding. Haha.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Picked up a set of these with Powerstraps from a guy on the vintage bike forums for my sons bike, they're gorgeous and look perfect on the bike.

I'm glad they have the straps, I didn't want him to have to learn to use toe clips yet.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
So, you thought my old bike was tall?

Check out the next one in line, 1979 Raleigh Super Grand Prix with a 68cm frame :eek:

That thing is almost too big for me. :thumbup:

I've already got a new rear wheel and new tires ordered up and plan on tearing into it in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yikes!! That is enormous!

Sorry for the crappy pics, and that I'm so late to the party, but here are mine.

A VERY rough 1970's Ross (it's currently completely stripped and in primer)

And my 05 Trek 1500

- Mike

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Can't wait to see progress pics on the Ross.

I'll be starting on the giant frame Raleigh soon, I just ordered a set of 700x32 Panaracers for it. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts

It's a 12 Speed Fuji Gran Tourer, the model number puts it around '74. The tires are new, and i'm not sure what else, other than the front brake cable, as i just replaced it. I'm going to be using this in my triathlon.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Just got myself a Trek 1000 for £50, it would seem to be a couple of cm's too small for me (56cm instead of 58) but with it adjusted like this it's actually very comfortable. It allows me to completely restore my late 70's Colnago and change it to single speed or maybe 3 speed hub gears. I'll post pics of the restoration when it starts.

I've changed the saddle, fitted Marathon plus tyres, XTR clipless pedals and my campag water bottle but other than that it's pretty standard, very impressed, it rides beautifully.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Just picked this up tonight.

2011 Trek madone 4.7

right off the trainer getting fitted

back at home with warning stickers taken off. Water cage and saddle bag installed

rode it about 12 miles tonight and its simply amazing!

going for a better ride tomorrow after work

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
That's a good looking bike, I usually don't care much for modern stuff but that's sharp.

It also looks like I forgot to update my giant Raleigh project, it was finished last spring and I put a couple thousand miles on it over the summer.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts