Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone show me a picture aof the shroud near the radiator that focushacks.com tell you to remove to get colder air in? Peace,
Blaze

·
Registered
658 Posts
no pics..but its the one that goes from the rad support to the grille...has that little bump in front of the intake.... take it off i did..no problems...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I removed mine,modified it,and put it back in.
Right side-cut hole big enough for funnel,
to direct air to stock air tube.
Left side- 2- 4" cuts,5" apart,to make flap to let air in and over engine.
Trimed out both w/vaccuum tube.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
It also blocks a bit of dirt and water.
I have mine out, but I have noticed that things get dirtier under the hood more quickly.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
does this pose a problem with cooling? i mean does this piece force air thru the radiator?

i dont have my stock snorkel on my car now, but under the hood gets uber hot (mine, suprisingly, didn't come with the insulation, and it's the power/premium
).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by demonfire:
does this pose a problem with cooling? i mean does this piece force air thru the radiator?

i dont have my stock snorkel on my car now, but under the hood gets uber hot (mine, suprisingly, didn't come with the insulation, and it's the power/premium
).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ONLY remove the bump, then fit it back into place because it will force air thru the radiator and keeps your engine bay cleen.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Focus-Wagon-driver is right. Ford put this peice in to direct air flow through the radiator, on those cars that I've seen it removed the engine bay is much dirtier because it allows air to flow upwards taking the least path of resistance bypassing the radiator. Just grind off the bump in front of your air intake if you want more of a direct airflow into the snorkel.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts

).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Because of the cramped engine bay, they ALL run relatively hot. It's OK, as long as your temp-guage stays in the middle. They dropped the insulation half way through 2001, so now your surprise is answered.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
thanks for the clearup guys. i put a shortie ram intake on, and removed the snorkel completely anyway, so i'll just leave it as is for now.

btw, just ordered magnaflow exhaust (on many, many, many recommendations) from newedge (on many recommendations).

course, they didn't give me a shipping price.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice everyone, i plan on removing mine tomorrow. Peace,
Blaze

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
thanks for the clearup guys. i put a shortie ram intake on, and removed the snorkel completely anyway, so i'll just leave it as is for now.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Put the snorkel BACK!!
It's the BEST way to get ANY cooler frontal air to your shorty.
I have the K&N FIPK Intake, which is a Plastic-tubed shorty w/ heat-shield. There's a hole in the bottom of the shield, which I've adapted for the "Even-BIGGER" SVT snorkel. I will eventually also be using the stock snorkel, flipped upside down and bent, to draw air from near the bottom of the fan-shroud, and direct it to the Front of the Cone-Filter.
The more "Fresh" air you can get, the better.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
okay instead of putting the stock snorkel where it is supposed to go i put it down under the driver's side fender, just high enough so the profile sees the full front, and the stock tubing (man that's small stuff) runs up and behind the headlight, where it dumps. surprisingly, the factory plastic tube FITS there.

now all i have to do it paint it yellow for an extra 10hp.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do all the foci have a snorkle thing coming out the front or is it a part you have to buy? I saw pictures of it in my manual but I am unsure my car has one....i removed the shroud before and i didn't see it...

Thanks,
- Joseph A. Cadeau

·
Registered
389 Posts
This is one of those placebo mods. I measured my Intake Air Temp and MAF air flow with and without the shroud. No measurable difference.

I used an OBD II scanner to measure while I drove the same route. Full throttle, part throttle, highway speeds.

Engine compartment gets much dirtier with it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts