Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Where is my @#$ antenna?!
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never did this one before, but how would I go about removing/replacing the side windows on my Focus? I got one broken last night and can get the glass for free. If I can install it myself, it's all free! I's love to not go through insurance for this.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Glass I believe.

·
Where is my @#$ antenna?!
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The white window was broken out last night, thank god it wsan't the triangular glass behind it... I hear they aren't as easy to come by, especially for free.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Duct tape the new glass to the side of the car

Tools: Star bit set, flathead screwdrivers, vodka + orange juice screwdriver, maybe a second set of hands.

First take off inside door panel. Roll the window up!
1) Use a screwdriver to pop off door grab handle trim, and then undo the screws that are behind it.
2) Take out the screw where the door handle is, and pull out the section of trim you just loosened. Disconnect the window switch.
3) Take out all screws around edge of door trim. Pull towards you and rotate up to remove the trim. When I did my back door window, it was a PITA. There was a black trim piece at the very back held in by a spring-type clip, if you yank and wiggle it, it will come out.

For the glass (although if the stuff is already broken...)
4) pull all of that foam stuff out, get the speaker out, get everything out! Detach the door handle, leave it hanging.
5) Put the window switch back in, it just pops out of the door trim.
6) Lower the window
a) on a front door, until you can see the glass support bracket bolts align with holes in the panel, loosen, but don't remove them. Life the glass from the door while tilting up at rear, and pull out from outside.
b) ooh, back is harder. Unclip the black trim at the back of the window, undo the window guide rail at the back of the door. Lower the window until you see the securing sleeve/pins through one of the holes in the door panel. Use a punch to push out the pin, then the sleeve. It's like a half circle inside of another half circle. You'll see what I mean. When I did this, I couldn't pop out that pin, so I took all the trim off the outside of the window (it pulls off easy), then reached down and using two flathead screwdrivers and someone holding the second screwdriver, we popped the retaining clip off both sides. Lift the glass, and pull it up through the inside.

Putting it back in is much, much easier. Just reverse the above. Everything goes back together in about 15 minutes.

Your window is already b0rked, you'll have an easy time of it, since removing the glass just means smashing and vacuuming. Just don't cut yourself doing it!

Some of this information was courtesy of Haynes, especially the front door stuff. The back door, I did before I ever found one of these books.

I feel your pain. A few days after I moved to Maryland, in a nice neighborhood, my car had the back window and the driver side rear door window smashed, the passenger rear door window was scratched badly, and my spoiler was ripped off the trunk. The cops here never came to look at it, although the neighborhood association was concerned. Insurance covered $4000, but refused to cover that last scratched window because "I can polish that out myself." I had to replace it at a junkyard, and I replaced my ins. company at the same time!

By the way, insurance costs aren't supposed to go up for comprehensive claims. Although I would just as soon stay out of their radar, like you!

-N-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts