Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have them in my car but was wondering how they prtoect me and my passengers.

when the deploy how is the coverage of the cabin?
i've sene many of front end colision dash bags deploy but never a side.

does anyone have pictures of a side airbag deployed in the cabin of a focus or any other vehicle for that matter?

the thought occured to me this morning when a non paying attenion yuppy in his bmw turned into my lane without yeilding and almost taking out my side with my daughter in the backseat..

the focus has side impact beams and side impact airbags and was wondering if the hype of the cool names acutually help in the situation of a t-bone or similar smash up ..

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
we had a vehicle in our bodyshop where they deployed but no pictures. Its really a Airbag that follows up along the top of the door of the vehicle (THe one I saw was a Nissan Altima) and all the way to the rear and when it deploys its suppose to cover over a good portion of the glass on the doors of the vehicle. Thats the best knowledge that I have of em on that car but I think its different in the Focus's Because I know my SVT Focus had them and it said it on the side of the seat so I wouldn't know for sure but in the Nissan Altima thats how that one deploys.

Sorry if I confused you

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is about all i could find

that looks like they deploy form the doors rather than the seat ,

i really wonder if they help as much as they should ..

off all the bang ups the jet's had i've yet to see a impact bagged focus get knocked around..

·
Registered
91 Posts
that looks like they deploy form the doors rather than the seat
They can deploy from either. Usually side airbags deploy from the seats (so they move with the seat when you reposition it), and side curtain airbags deploy from the top of the door.

i really wonder if they help as much as they should ..

off all the bang ups the jet's had i've yet to see a impact bagged focus get knocked around..
It's true that front end collisions occur more frequently than side collisions, but they most certainly do help a lot. See this article. I recall some people on the Jet posting about accidents where the side air bags deployed...I think rpvitiello had an experience with them.

-David

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
I was watching crash videos the other day at work, and in the Focus if you get hit in a 40 mph head-on crash, if the window is down your head kinda goes out the window and when you fly backward it smashes into the B pillar.

then again, it happened on a lot of cars, but it was kinda scary to see their heads smash against the B pillar like that

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Here it is. This kinda makes me want my next car to have side curtain airbags. I hafta stress this happens on many other cars, not just the Focus. But yeah watching him bump his noggin on the B pillar makes me cringe every time I watch it lol

http://www.progressive.com/video/40fordfocus.mpg

(It's like 3.1 MB or something)

Actually that might be an offset crash, it's hard to tell. Here's more if you want them

http://www.progressive.com/RC/VSafety/rc_crash_videos.asp

Yeah I think it's offset. Cuz here's the Mini and its the same test, the way the car spins to the right plus the lack of real damage on the right side makes me think it's offset:

http://www.progressive.com/video/02_Cooper_HSF.mpg

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
Here you go David. This is from my crash, best pic I could find. Hit a building sideways under 40mph. Pass. side deployed, but the front bags didn't. It doesn't show all that well, but it pretty much blocks the window. Gave Kelli airbag burn and a bruise on her arm though.

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
I think rpvitiello had an experience with them.

-David

I did not walk away from this crash scott free, my pelvis was broker in 6 places, and from the waist down I had SEVERE brushing. My torso and head ( part of body the bag protects) had much less trauma.

The whole way the focus reacted to the crash was almost eerie, but it worked pretty well. The handles on the door broke off, and the door flattened out as if the design of the door was a mini crumple zone. The airbag added some more cushioning, and the seat slid over to the middle of the vehicle, over the center consul (protecting my upper body, but not leaving much room for my legs)

The people that responded to the crash said I was VERY luck I was in a modern focus, and not an older car. If I was I probably would have died on the scene. They were surprise the car was not torn in half, let alone the fact I survived.

My friend when he replaced the car with an SRT-4, got the srt with side impact airbags…

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think rpvitiello had an experience with them.

-David

I did not walk away from this crash scott free, my pelvis was broker in 6 places, and from the waist down I had SEVERE brushing. My torso and head ( part of body the bag protects) had much less trauma.

The whole way the focus reacted to the crash was almost eerie, but it worked pretty well. The handles on the door broke off, and the door flattened out as if the design of the door was a mini crumple zone. The airbag added some more cushioning, and the seat slid over to the middle of the vehicle, over the center consul (protecting my upper body, but not leaving much room for my legs)

The people that responded to the crash said I was VERY luck I was in a modern focus, and not an older car. If I was I probably would have died on the scene. They were surprise the car was not torn in half, let alone the fact I survived.

My friend when he replaced the car with an SRT-4, got the srt with side impact airbags…
JEZUS tell me you were riding alone !?

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
JEZUS tell me you were riding alone !?
IIRC, he was IN the PASSENGER SEAT!
Yes I was IN the passenger seat. I had to have medical personal lift me out of the vehicle because I was too scarred to move by my self. I have VERY bad lower back pain, and I was scared I broke my spine.

Btw does it make sense now why I’m bitch so much about the state of driving in the US. I wish I could say this was an isolated incident, but it was not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts