Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was plannin on makin another ported TB 4 myself this time after havin 1 on the car 4 awhile and makin a couple 4 others. got rid of my old 1 when i was sellin off a couple mods. but i just couldnt stand usin the pure stock piece any longer. like the ported 1, and its essentially free, so i took action 2 get back.

and since many have inquired in recent dayz. figured i'd snap some pix while doin 2nite over my dinner (only way 2 fly, car mods over dinner, hey honey pass me the 10w-30, need some on my salad lol).

here's the page on my site.

http://tiger.towson.edu/~rwarfi1/portedTB.html

there's the finished piece as a sample.

questions welcome, enjoy.

-Ult

[ 12-06-2002, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
431 Posts
I just did this mod a few weeks ago, very easy! The car pulls harder at lower rpm's now, and seems to do much better at part throttle.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
You're the man!

Just had to say that, great pics and info!

- Drew

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Bcause That's His Style. I C where he's coming from.
Try reading the Lyric sheet 2 Prince's 1999 album.
U will figure it out after a while.

Just b Urself. If this type of speak isn't 4 U, then don't do it. It's not 2 hard 2 read 1ce u've got it in ur head.

BTW, what does the porting do 2 ur gas mileage?
-Nick Rhodes

[ 12-07-2002, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mpg was up when i had my 1st 1 earlier this yr, i'll report back after another full tank w/it that isnt marred by a bad snowstorm.

-Ult

·
Registered
402 Posts
Question? do you port the TB all the way through? and replace the butterfly, with a larger Bfly? Im new to modifying Engine parts.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no matt, its not that intense, if u look at the stock 1, u'll c the lil ribs and the 'tumor' or bulge on the back part of the port entry. this makes it near circular and improves flow/throttle response. its not difficult at all, but consult some1 on the jet in ur area who can do it 2 help u. if u cant find any1, give me a holler.

here's another pic, after some polishin w/buffer wheel.

-Ult

[ 12-07-2002, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just wanted to add, as Ult mentioned, what you have to do will become very apparent when you actually get the tb out of the car. I was a bit confused also, but after the 5 minutes or so it took me to pull it out of the car and get it inside, it is pretty obvious. Just remember to not make the opening wider than the butterfly itself.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I need to do this

·
Registered
375 Posts
Can back up Ult's mod 100%. Did it last weekend with Spankenstein, throttle response is greatly improved and much quicker acceleration. Not bad for paying for the electricity to spin a drimmel tool!

·
Registered
402 Posts
can a person widen the whole thing and replace the Bfly? would it increase air flow or mess things up? like on the 65mm.. i have manual mill, for getting the size true. i just need to find out all the good stuff before i mod the part. so widen everything but aut around the Bfly?

·
Registered
293 Posts
1st ?, how does only making the t-body bigger before the butterfly and not all the way through help any? im just curios, not doubtful or anything, just woundering how it worked w/out making the whole thing bigger? 2ndly, will this work on a svt t-body? 3rdly, doing this mod and having a cai will help me out real good on the intake side right? and lastly, would putting a type of t-body spacer on or stacking a couple gaskets on each other give me more power? they have a t-body spacer for the mustang and it gives like 5 more horsepower by spacing the t-body further out so u get a cooler air flow (kinda like an intake spacer gives the air more room to get straightend out before mixing or something like that.). thanks for the help/info.
DANIEL

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wonder if this would help with the "sticky pedal" that has been bothering me. Also how does this compare to the 03 TB's? Will a 03 work on a 01 zx3? I've gotta do something. Maybe I'll try this...couldn't hurt I don't guess.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
BTW... anyone know the screws that are used to attach the TB to the mani? I stripped the head and need to get a replacement!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bur,

hit a salvage yard and score 1 off another focus. u need 2 use a T30 2 get them off properly.

every1 else,

i've been takin offers 2 do these 4 people. so if i'm open 2 do them if desired.

-Ult

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
bur,
u need 2 use a T30 2 get them off properly.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">DAMMIT! I used a T25... no wonder I effed it up!!! My bad!

OK Thanks!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Originally posted by lilracer:
1st ?, how does only making the t-body bigger before the butterfly and not all the way through help any?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Trust me, pull the tb out of the car and it will all make sense. The opening to the stock tb is not a perfect circle, there is a "bump" on the back side where the butterfly opens. You just put a generous amount of epoxy on this side (side facing the driver) and grind away with your dremel. Taking out this bump will make the tb opening a more or less constant size all the way through. As for it working with the SVT, I have no idea.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
OK... here's a question....

On my TB it clearly says to not wipe the coating out of it.....(dust retention coating I'm guessing.....)

So I'm wondering a.) do we need to reapply some coating or if it should be OK.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
should be alright without the coating....

now if I could get my damn dremel back from my friend who's had it for a year now I could go ahead and do this

1 - 20 of 20 Posts