Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Vibrant exhaust and I've searched for people's thoughts. Should I add the race header? If so, just add a bigger resonator because they seem to think it's insanely loud. It's a must-do upgrade but I'm stuck, does this header double the Vibrant's current noise level?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
it'd b a cop magnet...if u want 2 do a race header, which is not a must-do mod if its not in ur cards...u do what u wanna do, then go get another catback (bosal, apexi, fs, hks etc) w/a race header and sell ur vibrant 2 some1 who just wants a catback 4 better tone and loox out back.

-Ult

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
yeah, i'd have to agree with ryan's all-so-hard-to-read suggestion. if you're going to go with the race header, you'll probably want to go ahead and get a different cat-back. the old vibrant is one loud mo-fo as is, at least louder than my MBRP. baconzx3 has the MBRP with a race header and you can literally (we've tested it) hear him a half mile to a mile away. it's really really freakin' loud. adding a resonator will help the sound, but will end up costing you more time and effort than it's worth. if your existing exhaust is in good condition buy a FS "silent" model, thermal, or bosal and sell the vibrant for like 1/2-3/4 of what you paid for it (depending on how nice you are.) after that get your race header and be happy knowing that you won't be baiting cops a few blocks away.

Nate

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'm not trying to be a jerk but replacing the Vibrant would be ludicrous. You can very easily add a resonator and do it for a lot less than getting a new cat-back. I highly doubt there would be any noticable power loss either.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I had a chance to hear a Focus with a borla exhaust and the cheater pipe and my Vibrant was already nearly as loud as it with stock cat. If you put a race header on the vibrant... it would be insane loud.

I think the Vibrant muffler actually amplifies sound

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'm in Dearborn. I have a Borla and a Raceheader. I'm fast, but I am cop bait.

I believe the vibrant is not as loud stock, but adding that raceheader will be loud loud.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Keep your exhaust and add a FC cat. convert. Or something similar. $100 and it'll do a MUCH better job of keeping things quiet without robbing much power(only about 1 or 2 hp). You'll lose more hp with a louvered resonator.
And a resonator will be effective only within a certain frequency, while a cat. will reduce the overall volume.

Wanna spend money or have something effective and useful??

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shiva, I'll hear yours at Dave and Busters and I'll make my decison. So do you guys think I should do a JBA street and FC Cat?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
You can probably get a big resonator welded in place for less hassle and cost then switching exhausts. Better yet get a nice catalytic converter and put it under the car it will work almost as well.

I would not suggest putting a race header/flexpipe combo on your car without adequate sound muffling. Before I put my turbo on I had to drive around with a FS race header/flexpipe and an original MBRP exhaust. It was so loud I was embarassed to drive around, it might as well have been a straight pipe it was seriously that loud.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by SilverBulletZTS:
Shiva, I'll hear yours at Dave and Busters and I'll make my decison. So do you guys think I should do a JBA street and FC Cat?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Greg, you'll hear me a mile away from D&B.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by SilverBulletZTS:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Greg, you'll hear me a mile away from D&B.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In that case, no need to wait until then...
Anyone interested in a Vibrant exhaust?

[ 11-19-2002, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: SilverBulletZTS ]

·
Registered
208 Posts
We dynoed a 4-into-1 race header and a 4-into-two-into-1 header back to back. The 4-into-1 header was MUCH louder. The 4-2-1 header wasn't so bad.

Unfortunately we didn't have a decibel meter.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by techguy:
We dynoed a 4-into-1 race header and a 4-into-two-into-1 header back to back. The 4-into-1 header was MUCH louder. The 4-2-1 header wasn't so bad.

Unfortunately we didn't have a decibel meter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What would you compare the 4-2-1 to?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Read this post in Zetec Tuning.

Topic: bosal, silencer, race header sound?

I have a race header and my car is pretty quiet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts