Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While working on a splitter and in the process of dropping the front it's become clear a skid plate is in order. I cringe at adding any weight to the front of this car but considering what could happpen think it's wise. There are pro's and con's to any design or material choice just looking for some rational to help me decide. Right now considering a (alcoa sealess 6061 T-6) frame with a removeable (Dzus Fasteners) diamond plate. This way at the track you can pop it off for max airflow??

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JaySD
Thanks, I did read thru a lot of the old posts and it seems nothing is out there except a couple custom ones. Just to clarify mine would be for the dual purpose, commuter- weekend AutoX/Road course driver. Rally is another thing all together. On what you mentioned (full length with venturi channels) do you have any links of pics even if it's on other cars. Thanks

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Sounds like a weighty discussion
. Don't know how rough you plan on being on your underpinnings, but I used this stuff on the Formula Ford. http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pdfs/083.pdf
bottom of page.

I put 1X 1/2X 6" strip under frame at leading edge and on frame edge under my butt. Almost as slick as teflon and LOTS lighter than diamond plate. Got the 1/2 inch thick and countersunk about 1/4 inch, then riveted them on. Just bevel the leading and trailing edge, and viola! You can buy the same stuff in 1/8- 1/4 sheets.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Venturi channels are in full blown race cars and ferrari's etc is basically reversed aerodynamics. The channels force the air to go faster and cause suction to the ground producing downforce. I dont think there is a feasible method of putting them on the focus hehe..

I noticed the lowest thing on our cars is the header so a good skidplate for dual use would be nice. If you could protect without losing airflow or do something to make it better that would be cool

·
Registered
407 Posts
HDPE (high density polyethylene) is the good stuff for this purpose. The problem for a focus is where to attach the leading edge. There's no metal going across the car in front of the engine except for the flimsy radiator support (and that would be asking for trouble!) If I was building one, I would make a brace that bolts to the tow loop bolt holes (similar to some commercially available towing adaptors. The back end can obviously be bolted to the sub-frame and AWAY YOU GO!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts