Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my slave cylinder on my 00 zts and i have a few questions.

1. The bolt for the ball joint on the steering knuckle is stuck. What's the best way to remove this, first i tried an impact gun and it wouldn't budge, ive put penetrating oil and let it sit for a while and it still wouldnt go, i tried using a breaker bar but i am afraid i will strip the torx head on it, and ive also tried heat but i am afraid of damaging the ball joint since it is so close. As of now i am planning on drilling it out but any other suggestions would be great

2. How hard is it to remove the half shafts from the tranny, do they come right out or is there a special way to do it

3. Do i need a new gasket for the bell housing when i put the tranny back on

4. What is the easiest way to remove the starter motor, it is very hard to get to from what i can tell, what needs to be removed to gain easier access to this

5. Just wondering if anyone has put in the Exedy KFM01 clutch kit and if you like it, I went with this because it was inexpensive and i know exedy is a good company

I think thats it, i've got to have the car back together this weekend so i can get to work so any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
954 Posts

1. The bolt for the ball joint on the steering knuckle is stuck. What's the best way to remove this, first i tried an impact gun and it wouldn't budge, ive put penetrating oil and let it sit for a while and it still wouldnt go, i tried using a breaker bar but i am afraid i will strip the torx head on it, and ive also tried heat but i am afraid of damaging the ball joint since it is so close. As of now i am planning on drilling it out but any other suggestions would be great
Remove the nut and hit the threaded end of the bolt with a BFH. Then replace with a NEW FORD bolt/nut. DO NOT just replace with any bolt/nut you can find at the hardware store.

2. How hard is it to remove the half shafts from the tranny, do they come right out or is there a special way to do it
The passenger side half-shaft pulls out easily once you remove the bearing retainer strap. The driver's side half-shaft utilizes a retainer clip on the end of the shaft that's inside the trans. That shaft will require a slide-hammer and/or half-shaft remover to remove (these tools can be rented from your local Advance/AutoZone or purchased from Steve @ Tousley).

3. Do i need a new gasket for the bell housing when i put the tranny back on
There is no bell-housing gasket. However you should DEFINIELY use some anerobic sealant when you reinstall the new slave cylinder. This seals the slave to the trans bellhousing. DO NOT use ATV/silicon sealant as IT WILL LEAK after a while (don't ask me how I know this), necessitating another removal of the trans.

4. What is the easiest way to remove the starter motor, it is very hard to get to from what i can tell, what needs to be removed to gain easier access to this
There are three bolts that hold the starter. They can be accessed from underneath and behind the engine, under the IM. The starter bolts are different lengths (as are a lot of the trans bolts) so mark them so you put them back in the correct location.

5. Just wondering if anyone has put in the Exedy KFM01 clutch kit and if you like it, I went with this because it was inexpensive and i know exedy is a good company
never used an Exedy clutch, but I've had EXCELLENT luck with the Centerforce Dual-Friction clutch, even on my race cars.

I think thats it, i've got to have the car back together this weekend so i can get to work so any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!
GOOD LUCK!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! I have already taken off the nut and tried hammering it out from the threaded side but it is just frozen in there. I have even tried using an air hammer. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thanks for the help! I have already taken off the nut and tried hammering it out from the threaded side but it is just frozen in there. I have even tried using an air hammer. Any other suggestions?
As you mentioned you might try using some heat against the spindle on the head/shank end of the bolt, but your likely to burn up the ball joint and/or boot.

Sounds like you're down to drilling out the bolt. You'll have to drill from the 'head' side of the bolt since the bolt shank is of a larger diameter than the threaded portion of the bolt. In other words, the hole in the spindle on the "head" end of the bold is of a larger diameter than the hole in the spindle where the threaded portion of the bolt passes through. Plus you can use the torx hole to get your drill bit started/centered. That bolt snaps easily so it should be easy to drill out.

If for some reason you drill the hole out too large or somehow 'booger' up the spindle, PLEASE do not reuse it. I know a replacement spindle can be expensive (don't ask me how I know this), but it's a lot cheaper than having the lower a-arm separate from the spindle and end up hurting you and possibly others. (BTW, the new spindle comes with the bearing already pressed in.)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Another thought. I know it's a PITA, but you could remove the spindle and lower a-arm as an assembly then try and have the bolt removed on a hydraulic press. Something is bound to 'give' in that situation...... :D

Have you tried using an impact gun with the correct torx bit on the head (in the ON direction = impact gun has more torque)? I'd try that before I drilled out the bolt. If you mess up the torx head, no worries because you'll be drilling it next anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I've tried the impact gun in both directions, i might try to heat it up again but looks like i'm most likely going to drill it out. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
872 Posts
dhardison gave great advise, but i'll add a few thing from my experience

all i can say is make your u have the right torx bit. i know sometimes the big ones are hard to find, and a smaller one sometimes work, but u dont want to strip it if u can
passenger is easy. then i used a long narrow punch(i used a screwdriver) to punch out the driver side through the diff. just make sure you are punching the end of the shaft and not anything else that you dont wanna break. it doesnt need a lot of hitting, just 1 sharp hit to unseat the retaining clip. you'll know when u get it.

yes 3 bolts, and you dont need to undo the wiring or anything crazy like that

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey I have a few more questions.

1. Is it necessary to remove the drivers side halfshaft, I got the passenger side off but i cant seem to get the drivers side to go. I'm afraid if i push it out from the passenger side through the differential I will mess something up.

2. The manual says to remove the left engine mount (passenger side I'm assuming). Is this needed? How much clearance do I need on the side to drop the tranny?

Thanks

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey I have a few more questions.

1. Is it necessary to remove the drivers side halfshaft, I got the passenger side off but i cant seem to get the drivers side to go. I'm afraid if i push it out from the passenger side through the differential I will mess something up.
Yes, the driver's side half-shaft must be removed to remove the trans. Either drive it out from the passenger side or rent the proper half-shaft puller.

2. The manual says to remove the left engine mount (passenger side I'm assuming). Is this needed? How much clearance do I need on the side to drop the tranny?

Thanks
The left side mount would the on the driver's side. You need to support the engine with a jack, using piece of wood under the oil pan. Then remove the mount that's on top of the trans. In order to access that mount you'll need to remove the battery, battery tray, air box and air box bracket.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay thanks, i've already done that i thought it was talking about the mount on the other side. Guess all thats left is to get the halfshaft out and drop the tranny. Hopefully i'll be able to get it all done tomorrow! Thanks again for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts